Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #1

Share |

How to wire inline fan to thermastat to come on with HVAC system

I have a single level home with an exterior package unit on the North side of the house and our living room/kitchen area on the South side. When the system is on I have to close the vents on the North side of the house just to get anything out of the vents in the South, and even then it's not much and the vents I've shut off our noisy trying to hold back the air. There's one main run of flex (I think 14 inch) feeding the South side of the house and I want to install an inline fan to force air in that direction. I know how to wire it to a thermostat, and I know now to wire it to the HVAC system, can someone tell me how to do both of those at the same time? I don't want the fan on when the HVAC system is off, but I want the ability to set the inline fan to a thermostat so that I can effectively zone the South side where our living area is and the North side where our bedrooms are. That way at night I'm not heating/cooling the living area.

lostbeatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

If you are having to close vents off to get airflow to come out on the other side, something is wrong with your hvac system. An inline fan is not going to solve anything.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #3

As gregzoll has posted, check for broken ductwork first.

The EAC terminals on the control board or a current sensing relay grabbing the blower neutral wire would operate the inline booster fan.

Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duct fan, hvac, inline fan