Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #1

Share |

How to vent whole house and garage

I'm hoping someone can provide advice on how to run ductwork in the following scenario.

I have three 12" square boots with 8" ducting in different locations of my single-story house as shown below:

Airflow is from inside to outside with the exhaust on the side of the house (gable vent in attic).

I want to install one fan to spot vent all 3 spaces: the attic, the house, and the garage. I'm thinking 800 cfm should do it.

attic = 3,500 cubic ft
house = 10,450 cubic ft
garage = 4,100 cubic ft

The garage will need the most spot cfm's because it's used as a shop (fumes, etc.); the house and attic will be vented mostly on hot days for cooling.

1. What is the best kind of ducting to use? I was thinking 8" insulated (to prevent condensation) flex ducting.

2. Is it possible to use motorized dampers to adjust the ventilation of each space as needed? Where would I put the Y adapters?

3. Are there other ways to divide up the cfm's? Could I use a smaller diameter duct in the attic, for example, to reduce the cfm's allocated there?

Thanks in advance.

deko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:40 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Its a code violation to have a garage attached to the same duct work as the house.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:15 AM   #3
BIGRED

Beenthere says it all !!!!! Hold back a few bucks from Obama Care and put in three separate blowers.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #4

well, so much for that idea.
deko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
BIGRED

You could do it your way, but only on the day before you don't plan on waking up the next day.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #6

But it's easier to poison yourself with your car exhaust when you can do it while you're sleeping in bed....
ExpFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:59 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpFist View Post
But it's easier to poison yourself with your car exhaust when you can do it while you're sleeping in bed....
But its sadder when its your kids you poisoned while they were sleeping and you were warming up your car on a cold morning.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote