Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How To Select the Correct Coil

I have acquired a Carrier Infinity ICS 58MVC 060 14 Series 100 ie 60000 BTU , 1400 CF/min furnace, which can be mounted horizontally (which I require), however was mounted vertically before deinstalled and has an upflow/downflow Coil which I am certain is not a horizontally capable coil. The coil is a Carrier CNPVP2417ACA, ie 2 Ton, R410A, 17 inch. The outdoor unit is a Carrier 24ABB324 13 SEER, 2 tons.

SO my question, I am obviously not well versed in HVAC and I am using a pro to do it, but I need to acquire the equipment. I know I need to buy a 17" horizontal flow coil, but I wondered since it seems the coil is pretty basic in what it does, would I have to buy a carrier coil ? The carrier docs mentions, 'if you use a coil by another manufacturer'.... Since the outdoor unit is 2 tons, the coil should match it and not be more ?

Thanks !

ob2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #2

You can use a coil by someone else if you wish to. You can get a cased coil or just a slab coil and make ducting transitions to it. Make sure it is your 2 ton capacity and has the correct metering device for the type of refrigerant you will be using (R-410a) your installer should be able to make any adaptations as necessary.

Nice furnace, I have the same model in my house. Do you have the Infinity control to go with it?

HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #3

Thank you Dave. I do not have the thermostat, I guess I will have to buy the carrier one since I read the infinity system has features that a standard thermostat doesn't have. Is this furnace a 2 stage ? Thanks for the tip on the coil. I think I found one that will work
Goodman r410 coil
Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #4

Depends on the age of the furnace, but I believe you will have 3 stages of heating on your model.

The infinity control has capabilities that can be nice, but at a premium price. You can adjust fan speed from the control, It comunicates with the furnace and changes fan speed while in cooling mode to deliver more or less humidity control to the space. Lots of features for vacation, setback, service reminders etc. Depends on if you are stressed out spending $300 or more bucks for a control or not.

You can use other t-stats as well for less money, just doesn't give you all the features your furnace can deliver.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #5

Geez, it turns out that the system is undersized for my house...grrr. Maybe you can help with another question, it seems Goodman is really the only manufacturer I can afford to buy, but almost everyone I talk to hates the stuff. Is it really that bad ? They sell a lot of equipment.
Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
HVAC Tech/Owner

Rewards Points: 2

Who says its too small for your house? The AC might be 24000 vs 60000 heat, most houses I go to could use the 60k instead of the 100k they have
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technow View Post
Who says its too small for your house? The AC might be 24000 vs 60000 heat, most houses I go to could use the 60k instead of the 100k they have
60k is actually ok for the heat (it is a mid 90's house), 2 ton is not good enough for cooling. The package unit is $1200 (used), but I have to buy a horizontal coil , which I would have, but the outdoor unit is 2 ton and I need 3 ton. I have a 2800 sq ft home with all day sun exposure. My installer said the 2ton unit couldn't keep up on hot day. :-(
Old 05-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
HVAC Tech/Owner

Rewards Points: 2

Wait....

How do you know 60k is alright??? Has there been a load calc on the house...how do you know what AC....has there been a load calc. on the house????

since when do you have to buy a coil for a package unit? Did your installer do the calculation??? Or is he just replacing what YA GOT.?
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Technow For This Useful Post:
plummen (05-16-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technow View Post
Wait....

How do you know 60k is alright??? Has there been a load calc on the house...how do you know what AC....has there been a load calc. on the house????

since when do you have to buy a coil for a package unit? Did your installer do the calculation??? Or is he just replacing what YA GOT.?
The heat only gas furnace I have now is vintage 1993. Works ok, but I need A/C. Makes no sense to add a/c to a 19 year old furnace. In fact the 60k number is what a load calc came up with for heating. 3 ton on the a/c. THe package unit is used, was mounted vertically. I have to have horizontal. The infinity furnace is multiposition installable, but the coil is up/downflow only. So I was going to buy a new coil, but 2 ton isn't big enough it seems. $1200 is a pretty good price on the carrier complete system, but not if it can't cool enough.
THanks
Old 05-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #10

You can hope for no more surprised but I would have installer do the calculations on your duct work to see if it is sized to match the furnace/ac. If he doesn't know how its time to find another installer.

Goodman is designed to be cheap but its hard to say if it is any worse than if you buy the lowest cost name brand models. When you look at some of the surveys they say goodman fails more but that may be because anyone can purchase the units where many of the other brands require dealer relationships. You never really know if it is the product or the guy installing it wrong that caused early failures.

The key scam on all this is that if you want any kind of warranty even on the goodman ones you must buy from a authorized dealer who also does the installation.
bill01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #11

Things aren't looking good. SO my opening to the attic is 17.5 x 28.75. Most units I am looking at are 21" vs 17.5". Is it common to have open the roof to do this ? The 17.5" opening are 2 support joists and you can just enlarge the hole. I thought horizontal mounting was the limitation, but geez now the size of the unti too.....
Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 24

You may or may not have to drop the frame to the attic or the entire attic staircase (frame and all), but with those numbers I doubt it. Just a bit of elbow grease should get the job done.

Btw, that's four elbows if you know what I mean.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 24

Bud, the size is the least of your worries. It doesn't appear at the very least to myself that you've ever had a proper sized a/c or heater in your home. Heat, maybe. I know you haven't had a/c so whatever you do will be completely wrong on that side. You need to take into consideration the plenum and duct sizes as well now that you'll be having a/c.

It will be well worth your money to do this right.

1.) Heat load calculation.

2.) Right size equipment.

3.) Enjoy your home in comfort for years to come.

I live in Houston, Goodman is from here. All of thier manufacturing and distribution plants are here. If anyone tells you that Goodman is junk than tell them to move to the hvac capitol of the world (Houston) and find out the truth.

Fact is it's easy for any old Joe Bloe to get thier hands on Goodman versus other manufacturers. Anyone then can and do install them. Anyone is not professional. Anyone doesn't spend thousands of dollars on the proper tools nor do they know how to use them if they did. Bad install means bad reputation when things go south as they will with any brand if not installed properly.

Goodman is just as good as any other brand out there. In fact for the most part they are all exactly the same at their respective levels. They all use the exact same components; compressors, contactors, capacitors, motors, etc.

Those guys telling you Goodman is junk are the same guys installing them for cheap and cutting corners if they are even professionals in the frist place and not hacks. They mess up as they have no idea what they're doing and then blame the equipment.

Trane is the only one that makes their own compressors and thus uses them. Actually, Ingersoll Rand makes those compressors. They own Trane.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 05-14-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #14

Thanks Doc. Houston knows A/C, it would be uninhabitable otherwise !
Old 05-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #15

Personally, undersized AC vs. no AC, and getting a furnace like an ICS for $1200. The deal is too good to pass up. (that furnace alone is usually at least 5K installed) Install it and change out the AC down the road (if you find it isn't good enough) when you have the cash to do so. Set the fan speed to match 2 tons and everything is good. My bet is it will be much better than nothing at all and 90% of the time you will be very satisfied.

You can go the route of replacing all your ducting now, getting everything new and spending a small fortune on a cheap furnace that won't do half as much as that ICS will do for you. It's all a question of how much you can afford to spend and what you want to do.

Just my 2 cents