Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #1

Share |

How to seal crevice?

So I have an older home with a A frame vaulted wood ceiling. Looks a bit old fashioned but I like it.

Anyway, there is a large beam running down the middle (at the top) from one end of the room to the other. Over the year, the beam seems to have shifted and there are now crevices between the beam and the drywall. On one side it is especially bad, increasing to about 3/4 of an inch at the max.

I want to go into the attic and seal the opening somehow but am unsure as the best way to do it. Taping seems to flimsy. Can't do any sort of dry walling myself and don't want to pay for someone to do it.

Is there a compound of some kind that can help here? Or does anyone have any other solutions? Thanks.

droopdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

How to seal crevice?

Wood naturally expands and contracts with changes in moisture so you may want to leave it alone and let it do its natural thing. Make it tight and it may pop the wall when it expands in the spring/summer.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #3

How to seal crevice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Wood naturally expands and contracts with changes in moisture so you may want to leave it alone and let it do its natural thing. Make it tight and it may pop the wall when it expands in the spring/summer.
Thanks. The crevice has been about the same since I moved in a few years ago (give or take). I am just thinking about it now since I will be doing other work in the attic this week. I am hoping there is something I can do to alleviate the situation.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

How to seal crevice?

Houses naturally expand and contract over 2-4 years and settle/rise with changing soil conditions/droughts/wet years/clay expanding contracting etc. In a year or 2 it may swell back up and if you made it too tight may have a problem. May want to get a structural engineer to look at the house and foundation to see if there has been movement and the beam to see if it is normal.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #5

How to seal crevice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Houses naturally expand and contract over 2-4 years and settle/rise with changing soil conditions/droughts/wet years/clay expanding contracting etc. In a year or 2 it may swell back up and if you made it too tight may have a problem. May want to get a structural engineer to look at the house and foundation to see if there has been movement and the beam to see if it is normal.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that the house was built in the 50's (in case it matters). The wood has been there the whole time as well.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

How to seal crevice?

Where do you live. We have lots of readers here and someone may know and understand your climate and locale. Post a pic of the problem also.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #7

How to seal crevice?

I live in Southern CA. Will take a picture and post it later today or tomorrow. Thanks again for the time.