How To Safely Remove A Section Of Gas Baseboard In Kitchen - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

How to safely remove a section of gas baseboard in kitchen

We are planning on getting new kitchen cabinets and we would like to add about 3.5 ft of cabinets (top and bottom ones) on a wall that currently his 95 inches with baseboard heating at the bottom.

I was told that I can just cut the pipe and cap it. We have a whole other wall of baseboard heat in my kitchen and another wall of baseboard heat right in the next room where we would remove the section.

What is my best option to remove? Is it really just that easy as removing the baseboard and cutting the pipe and putting a cap on it.

My BIL is a plumber and my husband seems to think this would be easy to do.

In the pic attached, the section would be the cabinets all the way to the right.

Thanks for any tips.
Attached Thumbnails
How to safely remove a section of gas baseboard in kitchen-ccf09202010_00003-3-.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Sephora; 09-23-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Sephora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 870

I assume you have a hot water boiler in the basement? Not as easy as it sounds. Need to isolate that section of pipe, drain a lot of the system. Cap the pipe ,refill the system, bleed air out and adjust the operating level/pressures when done. Easy for an experienced plumber who works with hot water heating systems, not all do. Just like the home improvement TV shows. They show you 10 mins of what may take 4-8 hrs to do. May have leaks later etc etc. They never show you the re-do's and problems they have.

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,184

I assume that it is hot water baseboard heat with a gas fired boiler? If so, you probably do not want to cap it, but rather pipe around it; otherwise I believe that you will loose all of your heating on that zone.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

If its one continuous loop, and if you cap it off, you might break to loop and loose heating in other places. You need to do as Dexter suggests, and re-pipe both ends of the baseboard from under the floor in the basement to maintain the circulation loop.
The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,720

Was your kitchen always the hottest room in the house in the winter?

8' is a lot of baseboard to remove from one room.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Was your kitchen always the hottest room in the house in the winter?

8' is a lot of baseboard to remove from one room.

We have a whole other wall of baseboard in the kitchen and the kitchen is btwn the living/dining room (L shaped) and a family room (addition).

Right outside of the door way in the diagram is a whole row of basebaord too. And that kitchen window is a look-through to the family room...that door steps one step down into family room.

I am not afraid of losing heat since we just installed a mini-split in family room that is a heat pump with AC so we have a secondary heat source that will reach the kitchen.

Does this all make sense?
Old 09-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
I assume you have a hot water boiler in the basement? Not as easy as it sounds. Need to isolate that section of pipe, drain a lot of the system. Cap the pipe ,refill the system, bleed air out and adjust the operating level/pressures when done. Easy for an experienced plumber who works with hot water heating systems, not all do. Just like the home improvement TV shows. They show you 10 mins of what may take 4-8 hrs to do. May have leaks later etc etc. They never show you the re-do's and problems they have.
I just called me HVAC guy and he said what you said. He said it would take him a few hours and few materials and about $300 for the job. I think we should use him and be safe rather than sorry.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

I think we should use him and be safe rather than sorry.

Now that is a VERY smart idea.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephora View Post
We have a whole other wall of baseboard in the kitchen and the kitchen is btwn the living/dining room (L shaped) and a family room (addition).

Right outside of the door way in the diagram is a whole row of basebaord too. And that kitchen window is a look-through to the family room...that door steps one step down into family room.

I am not afraid of losing heat since we just installed a mini-split in family room that is a heat pump with AC so we have a secondary heat source that will reach the kitchen.

Does this all make sense?
Ok.

So was the kitchen always the hottest room in the house during the winter.

Thats the question you need to answer.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Ok.

So was the kitchen always the hottest room in the house during the winter.

Thats the question you need to answer.
Well it certainly wasn't the coldest. I am not sure why you are asking me if it was the hottest. No, don't think it was the hottest. I think all my rooms were the same.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Then if all your rooms were the same. After you remove that section of baseboard. Your kitchen will be the coldest room in the house.

The amount of baseboard on the other wall, and in the other room close by won't matter. Your kitchen, will be cold.

Your talking about removing over 4,000 BTUs of heat from your kitchen. You might want to save yourself a headache. And have a toe kick heater installed while they are removing and bypass that section of baseboard heat.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #12

Why would it be cold then. It is not like I am removing the only heat in the room. I know people with only on side of baseboard in their kitchen and they are fine. My kitchen is in the middle of the house and has no windows. You are telling me it is going to be freezing in there? My HVAC guy said I should be fine...no problem if I remove that small side.

ETA: I am not sure if all my rooms were the same or not but i never noticed one room overly hot from others.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Hop in your car when its 30 outside. Drive down the road with your heater running like you normally would.
Now roll down the window on the passenger side. Your car isn't warn anymore. even though your only leaving cold air come in the one side, and still have a closed window on the other side.

If your kitchen is the same temp as the other rooms with the current amount of baseboard that you have. Then removing half of the baseboard that is supplying that heat, will make the kitchen cold. Because you will only be putting in half as much heat as you were.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

It may be cooler and a draft may occur as hot air moves to a colder area and creates a draft. If the boiler was PROPERLY sized with the PROPER amount of baseboard/radiators removing a lot of them/feet may overheat the boiler or cause the others to run hotter.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #15

But warm air from other rooms won't come in? How about the wall unit that cooled off my whole entire 1st floor?

So what I am saying is that my kitchen is in the middle of the house and sort of open. I guess I am assuming that the other rooms that have plenty of heat will make up for it.

Advertisement