How To Replace A Section Of CAC Duct In Wall? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

how to replace a section of CAC duct in wall?

hi

I have absolutely zero experience with CAC, so please bear with me. We have to replace our shower because the prior one had no vapor barrier. It caused a decent amount of water damage and mold on an exterior wall including rusting some in-wall galvanized steel CAC ductwork which leads to a duct (at the bottom) that feeds cold air to our family room downstairs.

(The picture shows the wall prior to mold remediation. The exterior wall is now replaced.)

Questions:
1) I obviously tried to research how to replace this kind of ductwork. Honestly, the only kind I see on youtube and websites is this large rectangular duct style... What is the name of this type of duct (rounded edges/kind of rectangular)? Is it a reasonably easy DIY to replace it? Do I handle this type of ductwork in a similar manner to the silvery large rectangular ductwork I see online?
2) What type of insulation was that yellow stuff which ran between the duct and the exterior wall. Obviously, we pitched it during the mold remediation.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Advertisement

diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
long island, NY

Here is the pic
Attached Thumbnails
how to replace a section of CAC duct in wall?-shower-mold-2-copy.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
REP

Rewards Points: 500

What your picture shows is called oval duct.It is fairly common so your should be able to get a replacement.It comes in differant sizes .You should get a messurement of the thickness,and the with.I'm guessing that it is what is called 6" oval.
As far as what was used for insulation I would guess that it was fiber board,probably 1 1/2 " inches thick but any fiberglass insulation should do.There is no clearances needed on this type of ductwork so it can be tight to the metal .
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to REP For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (03-04-2012), diy'er on LI (03-11-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
long island, NY

hi again. Sorry for the delay in replying... had some familial medical issues to contend with. all is well again.

Thanks for your reply. Now that I know what it's called, I can verify that it is 6" oval duct. I measured it today.

I also went to the big box stores today, and what do ya know... no oval ducts! Do I have to go to a special type of local supplier?

I'm normally a pretty proficient researcher/DIYer.. but this HVAC stuff is throwing me for a loop. Even this simple project. I think it's because I don't know the proper search terms to use to research things online.

What terms would you guys recommend I use to search how to replace this segment of oval ductwork? "oval duct repair" does pretty much nothing. I'd be very appreciative if someone could direct me in the proper direction for research and supplies.

thanks everyone.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

It's pretty easy,cut the old out, you will have to crimp the male piece from your old pipe and put your new piece in after cutting for fit.
The oval pipe is common,call some HVAC shops or a tin knocker shop and have them make you one up.
Don't forget to screw the new stuff and tape the joints to seal,I use the Alum tape.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ravenworks For This Useful Post:
diy'er on LI (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
long island, NY

I thought it was that basic, but was very afraid of making that presumption with my complete lack of hvac experience.

I already found the aluminum tape. THAT the big box store has... just not the oval ducts.

thank you sooo much for your advice. I think I feel confident enough to do it now.

Advertisement