Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Exclamation

How to remove compressor from cooler?

Hey everyone,

I just bought a 4 door display cooler but i need to disconnect ( cut the pipe ) from the compressor that sits on top of the cooler so it can fit inside.

I would like to relocate the compressor but i need to get it disconnected first but there is no valve on the suction line. there is only one valve after the receiving unit.

Anyone knows how i can disconnect the compressor?

any suggestion ould be greatly appreciated?

thank you

nicksab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,784

Charge needs to be recovered, then disconnected by cutting line.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #3

thank you for the prompt reply.

Could i just pump down the system instead of recovering the charge?
Old 08-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Pump it down to where? Is there an isolation valve on the vapor side. If so, then yes, you can pump it down and remove the entire condenser section.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #5

i was hoping to isolate all the freon in the condenser and / or receiver. There is a valve between the receiver and evaporator right before the filter.

There is no valve between the evaporator and compressor thought. The only valve on the compressor goes to a johnson p70 controller.

All i am trying to figure out is to disconnect the evaporate inside the cooler from the rest of the rest of the cooling system without loosing freon.

Whats the best way to accomplish this?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Post a pic.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #7

Here is a few pics of the cooling unit. The evaporator is inside the cooler
Attached Thumbnails
How to remove compressor from cooler?-08212011051.jpg   How to remove compressor from cooler?-08212011052.jpg   How to remove compressor from cooler?-08212011053.jpg   How to remove compressor from cooler?-08212011056.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

You said 'relocate' so I'm assuming the compressor is working. You can hook up gauges to that high pressure port and hook up the middle hose of the gauges to a recovery cyclinder and the compressor itself will pump out the freon into the recovery cyclinder.

There's a term for that actual procedure but I have to research it.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
You said 'relocate' so I'm assuming the compressor is working. You can hook up gauges to that high pressure port and hook up the middle hose of the gauges to a recovery cyclinder and the compressor itself will pump out the freon into the recovery cyclinder.

Won't be able to recover all of it that way, but most of it.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #10

Quote:

By high pressure port, you mean the port after the reciever befre it goes back to the evaporator inside the cooler?

Yes everything works fine. I just need to remove the whole things that sits on top of the cooler so i can actually get it inside my shop ( door clearance issue )
Old 08-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #11

I was thinking about closing the valve that is after the receiver and install a piercing valve between the evaporator and compressor. Then let the compressor runs until there is no more pressure on the suction side of the compressor ( between evaporator and compressor ).

But that s where i am stuck. Since there is no valve between the evaporator and compressor, i have no way to avoid the freon from getting out when i cut the suction line.

I should be fine on the receiver side since there is a valve between the receiver and evaporator.

P.S: and the valve that goes to the johnson controller on top of the compressor is kind of useless, isn t it?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

i want to say i see two ports, one on top of the compressor and one at the receiver. hook up to either one and with the gauges closed but reading pressures twist the high side open a tiny bit (with the middle hose of the gauges not connected to anything under your foot to hold it in place) and see if the refrigerant shoots out. Either port you use the refrigerant will come out of.

Just test it that way and close off the gauges quickly but use the correct recovery cyclinder to reclaim the refrigerant.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #13

Quote:
i want to say i see two ports, one on top of the compressor and one at the receiver. hook up to either one and with the gauges closed but reading pressures twist the high side open a tiny bit (with the middle hose of the gauges not connected to anything under your foot to hold it in place) and see if the refrigerant shoots out. Either port you use the refrigerant will come out of.

Just test it that way and close off the gauges quickly but use the correct recovery cyclinder to reclaim the refrigerant.

Thank you for your help on this. I really appreciate it.

Everything you said makes sense but what do you mean by "correct recovery cylinder"?

Most of recovery cylinder have 2 port. one for liquid and one for vapor. which should i use? How big of a recovery cylinder should i get?

and most of all, how do i put it back in the unit? how do i know if there is enough freon in the system? how do i add more? it says R 401 A on it. Is this an availble coolant?

sorry for all the question but i am really stuck with this project and i really appreciate all your help.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 AM   #14
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksab View Post
Thank you for your help on this. I really appreciate it.

Everything you said makes sense but what do you mean by "correct recovery cylinder"?

Most of recovery cylinder have 2 port. one for liquid and one for vapor. which should i use? How big of a recovery cylinder should i get?

and most of all, how do i put it back in the unit? how do i know if there is enough freon in the system? how do i add more? it says R 401 A on it. Is this an availble coolant?

sorry for all the question but i am really stuck with this project and i really appreciate all your help.

401-A refrigerant cyclinder is labeled as the color rose. As for a revocery cyclinder being the same, I can't say. All I know is recovery cyclinders are yellow for what I do on a daily basis which is air conditioning which utilizes R-410A and R-22. If I need to be certain that a recovery cyclinder is clean when I reclaim and plan to re-use the refrigerant than I pull a vacuum on the recovery cylinder after filling it with nitrogen. There is no distinguishing color for a recovery cyclinder between those two refrigerants and I do not think there is one for yours either, it should just be gray and yellow meaning my recovery cyclinder will be used for your refrogerant as well. Again, it just needs to be absolutely clean.

You just need to make certain any possible other oils or contaminants are cleaned out before recovering your system's refrigerant or it could spell distaster by way of compressor failure. Mixing one refrigerant with another is a big no no.

I would just buy a new jug of 401-A and install all new to be safe. In fact if I were you I'd hire a refrigeration service tech to do this job for you as there are too many precision and specific tools and procedures to have and follow.

You have a brazing rig? A recovery machine? A vacuum pump? A recovery cyclinder? A recovery machine is not cheap but it will pull out all of the refrigerant from that system, it will just take a bit of time. A recovery machine is pretty much a compressor just like the one on top of your cooler but much smaller.

On a recovery you recover into the liquid side of he recovery cyclinder. Btw, you can use a hair dryer to warm up the receiver to get that refrigerant flowing. I'd say a torch as in a brazing rig but you need to really have experience doing that as it can be deadly dangerous so a hair dryer in your case would be a lot safer. There will be refrigerant sitting in that receiver that does not want to move.

Not to say you can't do the job but you do need to have the right tools to do it right. Plus when all of the refrigerant is recovered and the system is empty than you can braze in a shreader valve on the suction line to add in new refrigerant, or the tech can.

I bet you thought to remove the compressor and relocate it was a small task, huh?

There's a lot involved to doing things safely and right in this case or in any refrigeration case.

I'd really like to help you but at this point your best bet is to pay a tech to do it for you.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:47 AM   #15

well yeah i kind of thought i could just pump down the system and lock all the refrigerant in the reciever then cut the suction line and cap the line so i can remove the whole unit. Then pass the cooler thru the door and reinstall everything but i guess i underestimated the whole thing.

I could buy a recovery tank so no worry about it being clean but for the rest it may just be an expensive way specially for tools that would be used once.

To admit, i am on a low budget with this project, so i can t really hire a hvac guy at $ 200 per hour. I would be better off getting the cooler to the trash and forget about it.

But thanks anyway.

If anyone as an easier way to go, i would definetely consider it