Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #1

Share |

how to remove ac unit?

hi...

tried to search for this and couldn't find much...

anyway, i'm building a patio in my backyard and i need to get rid of this 40yr old ac unit... the new one will obviously be placed somewhere else, but how do i remove this one and its cables/wires? can i just turn off the power and just cut the cables/hoses?

also, can i throw this unit right into a dumpster or do i have to call someone?

thanks.

danxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #2

how to remove ac unit?

have a HVAC company reclaim the freon..keep that paper work filed then cut it up...if your not going for a new unit relocated...go into your CB panel and remove the breaker that feeds that disconnect....junk guys would love that condenser and do it for you freeeee

biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

how to remove ac unit?

Does it have refrigerant in it? That'd be the main concern.

That electrical disconnect you can simply pull out or turn off if it's a breaker. Check the voltage regarldess once it's off as you never know.. Use a meter to check for voltage at the contactor or push in the contactor which is inside of the elctrical service panel of the unit (use a rubber handled screwdriver or something rubber handled, never your fingers).

From there you can simply cut the wires, even the small control wires but if the condenser is still connected to the inside unit and stat then turn the BREAKER to the inside unit off first as well, especially if you plan on re-using the inside unit.

Other than that, the refrigerant is a concern. You can't legally handle refrigerant without an EPA license and I doubt you have a recovery machine and tank or refrigerant gauges.

If the condenser is running and you have some allen wrneches than you can "pump the system down" meaning close of the high side service valve of the condenser which will trap all of the refrigerant in the compressor. You'd need gauges to know when that refrigerant is removed from the lines and trapped in the compressor. You close off the low side service vale once the refrigerant is in the compressor to hold it there. Btw, this all happens with the condenser running so you'll need power to it to pump it down. From there you use tubing cutters to cut the copper lines. If you don't have tubing cutters a hack saw will work or a saw zawll with a metal cutting blade. Do not use the same lineset if you cut it with a hacksaw or electric saw. Too many metal splinters will be left in there, cause for a major catastrophe for the new system.

Tubing cutters are cheap from The Home Depot or anywhere.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 05-17-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

how to remove ac unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
have a HVAC company reclaim the freon..keep that paper work filed then cut it up...if your not going for a new unit relocated...go into your CB panel and remove the breaker that feeds that disconnect....junk guys would love that condenser and do it for you freeeee
Yup, that's about $100 worth of scrap metal down here.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #5

how to remove ac unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
know of any companies in the north jersey area that would be willing to take it?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #6

how to remove ac unit?

too old just get the freon done and hacksaw the lines back..might want to keep that concrete pad for a step off from that new patio.any HVAC guy is licensed and bump into one localluy and throw them $$ they will do it while sipping a beer in your drive way...there is what tops 5lbs if the air handler is in the basement more if up in the attic.if your thinking of a new system check out PSE&G up there..for a credit for older units updating stuff...never know but you would have to be doing an upgrade to get some money off..they have contractors that do their work...check it out

Last edited by biggles; 05-17-2012 at 01:51 PM.
biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #7

how to remove ac unit?

my hvac guy reclaimed the refrigerant properly and disconnected the lines... it's now ready to be taken away by scrap metal guys...
Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #8

how to remove ac unit?

if you put that unit by the curb. someone will take it before you get to the house.
hvac instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

how to remove ac unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac instructor View Post
if you put that unit by the curb. someone will take it before you get to the house.
LOL, could get mugged for it on the way to the curb.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote