Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

How to reduce or stop duct "cracking/popping"?

We just moved into our house two weeks ago. Just about every night I wake up to, what I would call, clicking or popping of the duct work under our bedroom as the ducts heat up at the start of a cycle and for several minutes after the furnace quits. I've heard it in houses before but never this loudly, or for this long a time period. The basement is unfinished so I have complete access, and these 2 ducts are the furthest from the furnace (60' run).

Any words of wisdom on how to reduce, dull, or eliminate the metal noise? It is driving me nuts! Thanks all!

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

definitly in the heating cycle as you see...it's just expansion POP and cooling off contraction CRACK.if you have an area standing under the duct and here it the most...might need a hanger to tighten it up.to test this a 2 pieces 2x4 T and hammer it under the duct from the floor to support the area...move it around to see if you eliminate the pop/crack

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Part of the Clover Leaf

Rewards Points: 500

last resort would be to dent the supply in the area of the expansion noise.
post some pictures and we can give some comprehensive solution once we see exactly what it looks like.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #4

I have found over the years that the best way to reduce or in some cases eliminate this type of noise is to "relax" the trunk line.........we do this by strapping the duct system up......then undoing ALL the original hangers.... and then re- attaching them.Most of this noise is caused by a structure settling over the years and putting tension on a trunk line as it does.......by UN attaching and re-attaching you relieve the stress.This really does work, we have done it many times.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harleyrider For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-01-2012), yuri (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,766

You can also just go push it up and down from underneath in a bunch of places and it may settle into a new happy quiet space. If not then loosening and redoing the hangers may help. Get the wife to turn the heat on and off while you stand under the duct to see where it is coming from is necessary.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Part of the Clover Leaf

You guys are doing it the hard way...just use one'a these and show BaBa or Pierre where to smack the duct...last resort as I said.
...DA' ...WHERE DOES I HIT IT , YURI???

Last edited by hvac5646; 02-01-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Isn't it supposed to be Bubba and Pierre? In Quebec it is Pierre where I am we just use Pete.

Now that is what we call a tin basher.

Now this looks like a fun place for Bubba and the Boyz. Saw it on my favorite show about those hog hunters.

http://redneckyachtclubmudpark.com/

Last edited by yuri; 02-01-2012 at 03:12 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Part of the Clover Leaf

He does the tear outs between wrestling dates
Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

I say check the filter first. If a dirty filter can cause duct work suck in when fan is on and when stop then pop. Even those thick dense filters can cause that too. May have to put in a cheaper air filter.
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tator1076 For This Useful Post:
harleyrider (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #10

went down there tonight, really notice it a lot more from the other side of the floor! 1st pic is the main trunk coming across the house to the bedroom (the corner we're facing). 2nd pic is the end of the trunk that makes the loudest and most repetitive noise. 3rd pic is another register in the bedroom that throws a lot of noise, it is in the far corner of the 1st pic. Last pic is bedroom on the other end of the house, its a spare room so I never pay attention to it but being in the basement it is one heck of a loud pop as it cools off.

Thanks for all the feedback, sounds like I need to go and play with the joints and strapping and see where we get.
Attached Thumbnails
How to reduce or stop duct "cracking/popping"?-phpwmkamlpm.jpg   How to reduce or stop duct "cracking/popping"?-phpnhwwdxpm.jpg   How to reduce or stop duct "cracking/popping"?-phpobouzupm.jpg   How to reduce or stop duct "cracking/popping"?-phpzqbr0rpm.jpg  

Last edited by moneymgmt; 02-01-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
REP

The last time i incountered a house with the problems you discribe,The ductwork was too small.You could actually see the duct swell when the furnace started and relax when the furnace shut off.On this house the return was worse than the supply as the ra duct sucked in on startup and relaxed on shutdown.I increased the ductwork ,I added flex duct connectors and the noise was all gone.
Homeowner said they don't know how they lived with ity for 3 years.If the limit didn't go awol they would still be awakened in the middle of the night.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #12
how

Rewards Points: 578

A number of my clients who have decided to run the furnace fan continuously to help with air filtration for allergies or to overcome a poor heat distribution layout list the quieting of the formally oil caning ducting as a side benefit.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #13
Hvac Pro

if you find a section that is actually moving/being inflated etc you may end up reinforcing it as the metal they use now is as thin as possible. get a piece of angle iron or the stuff they make shelves from in warehouses and screw it to that section. pros use a piece of s cleat which is three layers thick and you can get it at a sheet metal shop. HDepot has aluminum and steel angle iron/metal in the screws and hardware section.

Last edited by yuri; 02-02-2012 at 06:58 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #14

It may have been a filter issue previously but I put in a new filter the day we moved in (5x16x25). The old one looked like a knit sweater, I've never seen one so bad before.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do some playing around with it this weekend and see if we get anywhere.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,102

I can't give any suggestions on the duct banging but your basement and and ductwork is very similar to mine.

Take a few hours one day and get some silver duct tape and wrap all your joints like the photo I attached. Or you can use mastic on the joints.
Attached Thumbnails
How to reduce or stop duct "cracking/popping"?-100_4943.jpg  

hammerlane is online now   Reply With Quote