How To Optimize Thermostat Settings (2 Heating Systems Same Home) - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2008, 02:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How to optimize thermostat settings (2 heating systems same home)

Just bought a home with 2 heating systems. The house is well insulated and has Anderson dual pain windows (installed about 10-15 years ago). A/C consists of 4 wall units. No heat in the basement.
  • System #1 gas hot air Trane XE80 (main system Heats 3 BR ranch)
  • System #2 Electric baseboard (Heats 2nd floor addition 1BR/bath built over garage) I beleive the electric baseboard was installed because the basement does not run under the garage and it was too expensive to run the ducts to the addition.
Since I live alone I don't use the 2nd floor bedroom/bath at this time. During the week I am at work for 11-12 hours a day.

I have been keeping the 2nd floor thermostat (not programable) set to 55 degrees.

I installed a LUX programable thermostat on the first floor (controls hot air system #1). I keep the temp set at 61 while I'm at work. It's programmed to 67 degrees about 1 hour before I get home from work. The house is cool when I get home so I turn it up to 69 when I get home. At night I keep it on 66 degrees.

The main system cycles on/off about 6 times an hour. It runs for about 3-4 minutes for each cycle.

Problem is house always feels a little cold when the main system cycles off. I came from an apartment with unlimited hot water baseboard heat so I'm probably a little spoiled.

Three Questions:

1) The second floor was built without a door. There is an "open" stairway from the living room that allows walk up access to 2nd floor bedroom. I wonder how much heat is going up stairs, and how much cool air is coming downstairs. Should I be setting the electric system #2 higher when I'm home?

2) How many times an hour should system #1 cycle on/off? Is 6 times an hour OK?

3) Am I doing anything wrong with my current settings?

I have not received a bill for gas and electric yet. The people I bought the house from averaged $275 per month ($300-$350 during winter months last year in NJ, which was a mild winter).

Advertisement

rossl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,472

How to optimize thermostat settings (2 heating systems same home)

Set the electrice heat at 50 or 55. Its expensive heat.
The gas furnace was probably over sized, and may be what is causing some of your short cycling.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote