Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #1

Share |

how much will a 50K system heat and cool?

How many square feet of house etc. can you heat and cool with a 50,000 BTU system??

that should be the word 'much',,,in the thread title,,,bad me for not proof reading better

Last edited by 4just1don; 12-29-2010 at 08:27 PM.
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #2

Depends on the house. Insulation, air infiltration, number and condition of windows and desired temp all are factors.
Nothing special about mine down in Lincoln but the windows are fairly new. Have a 45K two stage furnace and a two ton heat pump. Last year when it got to -20 outside the furnace kept the house at 73 degrees on low fire which is only 29,000 BTU for 1000 square foot. The heat pump can keep it the same temp down to 9 degrees and it's only putting out 10,000 BTU at that temp.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Fixed the spelling in the title.

As above. Depends on how much heat the house is losing. Most 50,000 BTU furnaces will have a 3 ton blower drive. So 3 tons of cooling. And how big of a house that will handle depends on the house.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #4

thanks for the replies.

house I had in mind is 880 sq. foot. some sidewall insulation but couldnt put more in there,,good ceiling insul. House just got all new Jeldwen windows which are double pane,,,new doors,,,tyvek all around,with new vinyl siding which I understand does little cause its made to drain and 'leak' air as such.

No basement, just a crawl space ,,all one floor,,ranch style built in 1940's era of slate sided no eave war time construction.(house has no slate anymore and now sports new hangovers,,,,opps overhangs of eaves and it looks like a completely new house outside.

I DID pay a heck of a price to get it that way tho. Fell off many a building and ladders in my many years,,, fell 4 feet off a stepladder and compound fractured my leg, both bones dragging in the dirt. Doc said worst he ever saw. That was 10 weeks ago and I wont be able to walk on it at all for another month,,,so be careful of even small ladders. The pain wasnt worth it and I cant get a do-over of that day. And I am 40K poorer for it, no insurance and bills still pouring in

Marty- this house is about 100 miles straight north of you,,northern Nebraska

Last edited by 4just1don; 12-30-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #5

Those are the same windows I put in five years ago. Made a world of difference compared to the 50 year old single panes that were on the house.

Smallest furnace you can get and a 1.5 ton AC is more then enough after those improvements in our area. A two stage furnace is better then a single stage since it will rarely use second stage.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #6

The guy living there could tell the difference back the middle of October. Since my accident havent talked to him but sure he is more thrilled now than then. Told him I would get rid of old wasteful gas furnace original to home,,,pilot light keeps going out on its own I guess. Hence found the one referred here on Craigs list since I am rehabbing myself with therapy in Omaha.

Thanks for the help on sizing,,that part I am not good at. Is Tempstar SP80 a good brand and model??Never heard of that one before