Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #1

Share |

How much r-410 refrigerant do I need here

Hi guys,
Got a goodman 2.5 ton gsz130301 heatpump.. with matching aruf303016 air handler Comes pre-charged for 15ft. Im running 30ft and the 410 was evacuated-- long story.

Now would like to know beforehand the ballpark amount of r-410 needed for a full charge. There is no info seen so far. Is it like 1lb or more like 5lbs or does anyone have a rough idea? There are ways to measure when its full during charging, but would like to know before what kind of numbers prior to that point. That way I can tell how much wld be purchased.
Thanks in advance
hvac_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #2

I am in no way an expert, but just trying to clarify your question. When you say that the "R410 was evacuated", are you saying that the precharge in the outside unit is no longer there?
civiltoatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #3

Yes...certainly so. There is nothing left and its emptied out on the compressor .
Old 01-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Nothing can be done, until a vacuum is placed on it, and then charged with Nitrogen if not brazed. No one can give you this info, because it is not the contractor's forum. Are you licensed to purchase Freon in your state?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #5

Red face

Ummm.... first, I already know about the vacuum- anyone with half a brain can figure that and that wasnt the question. I believe I posted on the DIY forum not so-called 'contractor' forum to avoid know-it-all comments.
Finding out the amount needed whether im charged for it or buying is the same. It is to arm myself with knowledge. You see knowledge is very powerful as it triggers change. And we know historically power never yields without a fight. The HVAC industry is changing...from laws to prices. Some embrace it and others resist it. Which are you?
I believe I will get that info eventually.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #6

The amount for factory charge for 15 ft. should be listed somewhere on the condenser, Possibly inside the controls cover plate in ounces. I have a goodman 2.5 ton R410a heatpump and the recommended amount to add over 15ft. is (number of feet over 15 times .6 ounces) Note: the actual manufacturer of my unit is Amana which is part of goodman now.

Last edited by Rollie; 01-14-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac_dude View Post
Ummm.... first, I already know about the vacuum- anyone with half a brain can figure that and that wasnt the question. I believe I posted on the DIY forum not so-called 'contractor' forum to avoid know-it-all comments.
Finding out the amount needed whether im charged for it or buying is the same. It is to arm myself with knowledge. You see knowledge is very powerful as it triggers change. And we know historically power never yields without a fight. The HVAC industry is changing...from laws to prices. Some embrace it and others resist it. Which are you?
Actually no, because again, if you do not know what you are doing, you can either hurt yourself, or get in deep trouble with the authority that oversees the different code areas. No one is going to tell you how to do this on a DIY, is why you need to ask in the Contractor Forum. Plus unless you hold a license in HVAC, and able to purchase R-410 from the supply house, you will not get very far. Stuff like this, I leave for my guy who is licensed in our state as a HVAC tech, and holds a EPA license to purchase and recycle Freon products.

I just call him and say "Hey my system is not working", and he comes and fixes it, and I give him some money for his time. I do not try to do his job, is why I keep him in business and let him answer the questions that I may have if I am inquisitive.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #8

Check out the spec sheet for your unit. You can find it at this web link:
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related...et%2011.10.pdf I believe you unit has a 124 oz charge. Check page 3.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

No EPA license required to purchase R410A. Its not a CFC, or HCFC refrigerant.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #10
MXer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac_dude View Post
Just be careful. Pressures on 410 can be double that of r-22. Make sure you have quick connect hose or you could be badly burned.
3 legged dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Actually no, because again, if you do not know what you are doing, you can either hurt yourself, or get in deep trouble with the authority that oversees the different code areas. No one is going to tell you how to do this on a DIY, is why you need to ask in the Contractor Forum. Plus unless you hold a license in HVAC, and able to purchase R-410 from the supply house, you will not get very far. Stuff like this, I leave for my guy who is licensed in our state as a HVAC tech, and holds a EPA license to purchase and recycle Freon products.

I just call him and say "Hey my system is not working", and he comes and fixes it, and I give him some money for his time. I do not try to do his job, is why I keep him in business and let him answer the questions that I may have if I am inquisitive.
Thats what I did! I called a respected contractor to check my unit because it was making a loud vibrating noise and only heating with aux heat. I was told the compressor was gone and charged $85. I couldn't believe a 1.5 year old compressor was bad, so I being from a troubleshooting background did some research and testing of my own. Truned out to be a sticking reversing valve. I fixed it with an r410a compatable additive. The unit is working great and I saved myself hundreds of dollars in labor.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #12

Wink

Thanks guys!...Rollie, the info was in front of me all along duh! I hear you Beenthere..try telling that to half the contractors and you will feel like a GM manager in a teamsters union convention. 3 legged, yes, that pressure is very potent. Tested it and learned quick to respect it.

As for gregzoll, with quotes like these, one has to wonder if this thinking defeats the purpose of a DIY site. Imagine going to an auto place with that philosophy even just when you need to change a battery...we DIYers are trying to keep our ourselves in our houses, not handymen in business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

I just call him and say "Hey my system is not working", and he comes and fixes it, and I give him some money for his time... keep him in business ....
Old 01-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #13
Seasoned DIYer

I don't know what you did to lose all the charge in the condensing unit, but if you already let any air into the condensing unit, you're screwed, because the R-410A lubricant is like alcohol and have very strong affinity for water. If you get it wet, no amount of vacuuming will get it out completely.

It's like a cell phone. Get it wet and you're screwed.

So unless you've got a charging scale (to re-add whatever the hell you did to the original charge), manifold gauges, oxyacetylene torch, vacuum pump, thermometers and knowledge on how to interpret the the pressure to temperature relationship, don't mess with it.

No, you can't soft solder R-410A plumbing. You need to braze it.

So, go to the library and check out a book that shows you how to charge R-410A, and purchase all kinds of expensive necessary tools that you'll only use once, or just have someone else do it for you.

Last edited by HVAC_NW; 01-21-2011 at 09:42 AM.
HVAC_NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #14
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac_dude
Thanks guys!...Rollie, the info was in front of me all along duh! I hear you Beenthere..try telling that to half the contractors and you will feel like a GM manager in a teamsters union convention. 3 legged, yes, that pressure is very potent. Tested it and learned quick to respect it.

As for gregzoll, with quotes like these, one has to wonder if this thinking defeats the purpose of a DIY site. Imagine going to an auto place with that philosophy even just when you need to change a battery...we DIYers are trying to keep our ourselves in our houses, not handymen in business.
There are reasons like this that I leave things like this to the experts. If I had dealt with HVAC in the Navy maybe, but I didn't. I personally know my limitations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Tags
410, charge