How Much Humidity In House? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How much humidity in house?

I have a new home (1yr) and we are approaching winter here in Fargo. How much humidity should I have in the house?

Right now it's 50% which is pretty comfortable. But once it gets cold out the windows will start to frost over and the like so it's nice to lower the humidity down some to prevent it.

What should my target be given I want my wood cabinets and trim to last etc.

I am using a stand alone dehumidifier currently in the house.

Also does a direct vent natural gas fireplace add humidity or not?

Thanks!

Advertisement

live4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 588

This from a humidifier maker's literature. Temps are in degrees F to prevent inside condensation. To make it even easier connect an automatic control to your humidifier that has an outside temp sensor.

Edited for clarity:

Outdoor temp............Max Indoor RH
Deg F....................... to prevent condensation

+40............................45%
+30............................40%
+20............................35%
+10............................30%
0................................25%
-10.............................20%
-20.............................15%

Advertisement

Last edited by raylo32; 10-24-2011 at 02:37 PM.
raylo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raylo32 For This Useful Post:
live4spd (10-26-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 258

I wouldn't recommend dropping below 30% if you can help it. Once you get below that you are going to notice very dry on nose and throat, plants will not be happy, house may get more noticably dusty, static electricity build up could be noticable, etc. it may also dry out your wood furnishings as you have previously alluded to.
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HVACDave For This Useful Post:
live4spd (10-26-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

I cant imagine that high humidity in the winter in Fargo would be a problem. I would think that you would have a problem with low humidity in the winter.
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #5

Ok thanks guys...

Well I think the humidity outside is generally quite low, but it's a new house so there is a ton of moisture in it. Last year I had to wipe the windows down 3x a day, there were literally puddles on all the window sills etc.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #6

That's not good because the same thing is likely happening in the walls. What kind of heat do you have?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #7

Its forced air natural gas. I don't think its in the walls it's only at the windows plus if was in the walls we would water coming out everywhere.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,542

hvac dave makes a great point humidity affects the entire house....walls, floor,furnishings, and so on in the winter months we recomend staying around 35% ....our customers live in pa
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,470

Are you asking about a direct vent, as in its combustion air is brought in in a pipe directly to it, and its vent goes directly outside?
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #10

Yes that's the one.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #11
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,444

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4spd View Post
Ok thanks guys...

Well I think the humidity outside is generally quite low, but it's a new house so there is a ton of moisture in it. Last year I had to wipe the windows down 3x a day, there were literally puddles on all the window sills etc.
The first thing I would be looking at, is that the bathroom vent fans are running like they should, and venting moisture outside. Also checking to make sure that the dryer vent is clean and exhausting properly.

Our house is pretty air tight, from everything that I have done, and we never see moisture problems. The worst enemy in a home, is no fresh air coming into the home, and the bath & dryer exhausts placing too much moisture into the home. You can get a humidity sensing switch for the bathrooms, that will not shut off the exhaust fans, until it reaches the proper humidity level. Also, having dampers on the bath exhaust to close to keep outdoor air from entering helps, same as making sure that the dryer damper is closing as it should.

I use a Radioshack remote sensor thermometer & humidistat, with a sensor in our basement and one in the attic to monitor humidity levels and temperatures. We keep our home around 68 in the Winter, and humidity tends to stay around 45% both in the basement and main floor. When it is warmer, even with the a/c running, it spikes about 65% at the highest, but tends to stay in the low 50's.

So, the key would be to constantly monitor the moisture levels in the home, and if you do not have a humidifier on the hvac, use a room unit and run to put moisture into the home if it drops below 45%. If you have a humidifier on your hvac, get it checked out to make sure it is working properly, and not dumping too much moisture into the home.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4spd View Post
Yes that's the one.

It won't add or remove moisture to the house.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #13

If the humidity is high enough inside and the temp is low enough outside you can get condensation in the walls and you would likely not notice it unless/until you pulled some drywall off and found damp or moldy insulation.

Here is a good discussion of in-wall condensation. What you want to avoid is what they show in Fig G. where the wall temp gradient is such that the dewpoint occurs in areas and materials that you don't want to get damp. The factors that determine this are the wall design and the outside temp, of course, that are what they are, and the inside dew point that, that you can influence with a humidifier or other behavior.

Probably they design for this up there with the extreme low temps you get perhaps by using a thicker layer of EPS against the outside wall since this stuff won't be affected. But you still need to think about controlling the inside humidity.

http://www.tlpca.org/images/articles_condensation.pdf
Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #14

interesting article. thanks for the advice guys!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 252

A direct vent gas appliance does NOT add humidity to the house. What is does do, is reduce infiltration of outdoor (usually lower humidity) air.

With all conditions inside the house being the same, lower infiltration tends to maintain indoor humidity.

My case in point: before direct vent, static shocks. After direct vent, no shocks.

Advertisement

Last edited by veesubotee; 10-26-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: minor edit
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote