How Much Cfm/fans To Ventilate Painting Room? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How much cfm/fans to ventilate Painting Room?

Hey There, I'm spray painting with cans of paint in a 12' by 20' one car garage with a 7.5' high ceiling. The fumes are quite toxic and need to be removed!
I've read that you take your all 3 measurements and multiple them together to get your cfm for the room. Then buy a fan according to the cfm of your room so it has enough power to exhaust your room. I live in British Columbia so its very cold here in the winter to open the garage door to paint because the paint doesnt dry when it is cold.
I have one 2.5' by 2.5' to vent out and 8" opening in the wall opposite to the window that i could put a intake fan. I have a polyed off 20" box fan in the window right now but its not moving that much air through the room. Some say box fans push around 2500cfm and other says they push around 250cfm. But this obviously isnt working well enough because its only strongly pulling air/smoke about 2' away from the fan.
So my question is what would be the most efficient way to properly vent my garage
- Without spending a excessive amount of money?
- How much cfm do i really need?
- Possibly 2 fans for exhaust and 1 for intake?
Here is a few options ive been considering:
First 2 links i was thinking buying 2 or each and 3 link i was just going to purchase the one because its more expensive.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/aero...ity-fan/941378
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-...tor-97762.html
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...dmp/R-I5245022

Please let me know what you think and suggestions

Thank you

Advertisement

Dreamcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 266

I guess you need to decide if you want general ventilation or localized ventilation, when you are painting do you spray in one area where an exhaust hood or ducting could be added to increase the draw at that area, or are you painting cars and need ventilation throughout the whole space?

Advertisement

HVACDave is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HVACDave For This Useful Post:
beenthere (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 890

Go to Acklands/Graingers or an autobody paint supply co like Rondex and buy a proper mask with proper paint cartridges and possibly a full face mask. Rondex in Victoria and Nanaimo and you can order thru the web.

http://www.rondex.ca/

Last edited by yuri; 12-02-2013 at 09:28 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust , painting , spray paint , ventilation in a garage