Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #1

Share |

how to make trap for humidifier?

well just had a clear vinyal line running from the humidifier drain to the floor drain for a year now, because didn't know how to put a "trap" into the line..... the instructions just said make a circle loop in the line so it makes a trap effect..... yeah well do that with a 1/2" ID 5/8" OD vinyal line and it will look ok, for about 20 seconds then it will start to compress and crimp itself......

was looking at lowes last night at stronger tubing, I was a milky white clear tube, not sure if it was PVC based or what, I know it wasn't thin like vinyal tubeing is... when it was bent into a circle it didn't crimp...

I want to get this trap put in to get it up to local code... as the line itself is to be trapped before the drain....

what would you suggest? The outlet of the humidifier is a 1/2" diamater plug (Aprilair 600 humidifier)

just drop the thicker tube down a few inches, make a circle then continue it down? lowes doesn't seem to have anything premade to solve this problem locally

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #2

I used 1/2" clear tubing with reinforcement (I think it is nylon thread in a diamond pattern) for mine. Don't really need it for the pressure but the reinforcement helps it keep its shape. Just make a circle loop of adequate diameter and it doesn't collapse or crimp at all. Use nylon ties to hang it so that it remains in a vertical orientation.

You can get this stuff by the foot at HD or Lowes.

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Reinforc.../dp/B0002V3YDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
well just had a clear vinyal line running from the humidifier drain to the floor drain for a year now, because didn't know how to put a "trap" into the line..... the instructions just said make a circle loop in the line so it makes a trap effect..... yeah well do that with a 1/2" ID 5/8" OD vinyal line and it will look ok, for about 20 seconds then it will start to compress and crimp itself......

was looking at lowes last night at stronger tubing, I was a milky white clear tube, not sure if it was PVC based or what, I know it wasn't thin like vinyal tubeing is... when it was bent into a circle it didn't crimp...

I want to get this trap put in to get it up to local code... as the line itself is to be trapped before the drain....

what would you suggest? The outlet of the humidifier is a 1/2" diamater plug (Aprilair 600 humidifier)

just drop the thicker tube down a few inches, make a circle then continue it down? lowes doesn't seem to have anything premade to solve this problem locally

Last edited by raylo32; 09-12-2011 at 10:09 AM.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
AKA HVACTECHFW

Use 3/4" pvc as the drain and make the trap out of fittings. The pipe just glues together. The vinyl tube is only used for the first few inches.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
Experienced

Well I usually use the biggest rat trap I can find, humidifiers like peanut butter so apply liberally, the humidifier can't refuse it, when they come out usually at night bang you have just trapped a humidifier, some would say this is not humain, but I have yet to find a live trap that works....

Mark
Old 09-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Well I usually use the biggest rat trap I can find, humidifiers like peanut butter so apply liberally, the humidifier can't refuse it, when they come out usually at night bang you have just trapped a humidifier, some would say this is not humain, but I have yet to find a live trap that works....

Mark
Taken a bit out of context, but very nice!