Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #1

Share |

how to install oil tank vent whistle when vent pipe is welded to tank

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I hope some folks can help me out.

I am in the US military stationed in Belgium working for NATO. My wife and I are renting a house here that is heated by oil.

The oil delivery company told us that we needed to add a whistle to our tank or they would not deliver again.

I bought a vent whistle and have researched how it works and where it should go. I originally thought it would screw onto the opening of the vent pipe on the outside of the house but my research shows that it should be mounted on the tank and the vent pipe mounted to the whistle.

My problem is both the vent pipe and the fill pipe are welded to the top of the tank instead of being screwed to a threaded fitting.

There is threaded fitting where the oil level gauge attaches that I believe I can attach the whistle to but then I will not have a gauge. Also, it may not be possible for the delivery person to hear the whistle as the tank is the basement of the house and the vent and fill pipes are on the side of the house...so I don't think that is the best solution though it might be.

Can I/should I cut the cord on my gauge and run the cord from the float up through the center of the whistle's tube and then tie the ends of the cord together and then screw the gauge to the top of the hardware the whistle is fitted into?

Any suggestions on how to install this correctly given the scenario?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

-jeff

greenfieldja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Post pics of the tank where fill and vent the pipes are attached. Also a pic of the vent whistle you got.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Guywithskills

The whistle is to be heard while the delivery guy is filling, while filling, it vents air and whistle can be heard, whistle stops when fuel fills to cover whistle. The vent needs to be vented to outside and near fill pipe, the whistle can be heard very clear; like an old ship communication system.
Since it is welded, you can buy a 4-6" long threaded black pipe that matches existing diameter. Cut the nipple in half, screw each half (with teflon tape on threads 3 layers thick) into the whistle. Hacksaw out this whistle unit length from vent. Use fuel rated hose and dbl hose clamps on both ends of hose. 8 clamps total. This is automotive fuel filler hose (2 - 2" pieces.). Put whistle just above tank, so it goes quiet as soon as tank is full. Not that much expansion of fuel when minimal temp extremes.
Guywithskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Guywithskills

I mean 2- 4or 5" long pieces so u have 2" lap onto each side of pipe connection.
Guywithskills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil tank, oil tank vent, oil tank vent whistle, vent pipe, vent pipe alarm