Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

How easy to install hydronic heating in small bathroom

Hi, i have a small bathroom, probably about 100 sq ft. that sits right above my oil burner. My house has baseboard heat. I am thinking hydronic is the way to go because of this. I can do plumbing and am pretty handy, but never did it before.
What is the easiest and most efficient way to do this? Will i need baseboard heat in my bathroom along with the hydronic flooring heat? What parts will i need? I am looking for some specific details, never did this.

mayhem69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,014

Are you talking about retrofitting radiant floor heat? The temperature is much less than for typical baseboard, <=130F vs. 180F for baseboard.
It can be done but need's it's own loop.
I would just loop in a hydronic heated towel rack.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Electric Radiant Heating

Rewards Points: 150

It's much easier to install an electric radiant system, low or line voltage, than to try to heat such a small area off your existing boiler.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #4

yea, i realized that electric radiant flooring is the way to go, so that's what i will be installing. I found this seller on Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shield-Floor-Hea...item562b310ec5

what do you think? What kind of surface is best to work with when laying down this cable? Hardibacker?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

If you have never done this before, you are biting off a pretty good chunk of apple. Not saying you can't do it, dozens of people on this forum (myself included) have successfully installed electric heat, but here is a brief checklist of what you will need to do:

1. I assume you are putting in tile, so you will need to remove the old flooring, verify that the floor is stiff enough to suppot tile, then prep the surface.

2. Typically the electric mat goes in a layer of thinset on top of the subfloor, in my case I put it directly over the plywood subfloor. Installation of the mat requires basic electric wiring skills, you need to install a new circuit, wire in the thermostat, check the wire for proper resistance, attach the wire to the floor, wire in the floor sensing thermocouple, and place thinset over the wire.

3. Then you need to tile over the thinset. In my case, I used Ditramat under the stone tile, so there was an extra step in the process.

That is the overall process, each step has been discussed at length in this forum, run a search and you will find lots of useful tips.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #6

doesn't seem too difficult, i have basic electical skills and can lay tile. If i didn't think i could handle this, i wouldn't attempt it.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

It wont be too bad to install. I myself wouldnt go with the seller you listed as the shipping is HIGH and they are from Bulgaria. If your in the states, I would search for a seller closer to eleviate lost in the mail problems. Im sure the seller is fine with 100% positive feedback but I keep all my ebay purchases in the United States.

Good luck
What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by What have I done View Post
It wont be too bad to install. I myself wouldnt go with the seller you listed as the shipping is HIGH and they are from Bulgaria. If your in the states, I would search for a seller closer to eleviate lost in the mail problems. Im sure the seller is fine with 100% positive feedback but I keep all my ebay purchases in the United States.

Good luck
yes, i know the seller is in Bulgaria, that doesn't concern me. I can't find any sellers in the US that comes close to this price. I can pick up a programmable thermostat to go along with that and keep the final price down to around $200.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
Electric Radiant Heating

Rewards Points: 150

Mayhem
Here are some more important things to considerwhile installing:

I see the element you are buying is a single cable in a coil. That's the same design we use for our low voltage systems.

DON'T use a stapler. Use "P" shaped cable clips. You can get them at HD. Then you can use 1" galv roofing nails to hold them down and protect the element at the same time.

Leave the nails almost tight until you are finished laying out the wire. Then bring them home when you are sure you're layout is right.

I'm not sure if the instructions give you an explanation of how to calculate your spacing so follow this rule:

Box off the space and get your exact square footage of coverage. Then devide that sq ft number by the foot length of the element you get and then multiply x 12. This will give you your spacing (in inches) between runs. Maintain the same spacing all over except at the walls or cabinets. Use 1/2 the spacing between the cable and the wall there. So if your calculation gives you a 4" spacing, you want the cable to be 2" from the wall or vanity, etc.. From there out, you want ALL the spacing, even the turns, to be at your calculated figure.

check these pictures for reference:
http://www.comfortradiant.com/gallery_flzprimary.php

Take your time and it will work out fine.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #10

thanks warmsmeallup!