Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

How does hole in Gas Furnace cabinet contribute to carbon monoxide in crawl space.

I just recently had my gas furnace replaced. I called in a professional to diagnose why we could smell gas at times, especially when the heat started up.

The diagnosis was that we needed a new furnace due to a rusted out hole in the metal cabinet near the condesate drain. The professional informed that this was source of not only CO and gas into the crawl space but allowed CO to be pulled into the burner (flame) area reducing effeicency to dangerous levels. (This is vented with PVC pipe only)

Here are a couple of photos from the old extracted unit. To me this looks like a closed air circulation system within the cabinet. Can someone explain to me how the cabinet hole was causing this problem?

I have attached a photo. Top side in this photo was actually bottom side when installed. Small lines appear to be condesate lines directed toward vent point. Large pipe end at rust whole appears to be a non-capped branch of exhaust. Other end went to the PVC pipe vent. This is a Lennox GHR26 series furnace.

Just courious, thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
How does hole in Gas Furnace cabinet contribute to carbon monoxide in crawl space.-furnace-004.jpg   How does hole in Gas Furnace cabinet contribute to carbon monoxide in crawl space.-furnace-001.jpg   How does hole in Gas Furnace cabinet contribute to carbon monoxide in crawl space.-furnace-002.jpg   How does hole in Gas Furnace cabinet contribute to carbon monoxide in crawl space.-furnace-003.jpg  

Last edited by Chris H; 10-08-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

How does hole in Gas Furnace cabinet contribute to carbon monoxide in crawl space.

The condensate is very toxic and can eat away metal as in your pictures. My guess is that there was a leak in the condensate system and over the years did the damage that you see.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
oops, did I do that!

Rewards Points: 250

Was there two PVC pipes, one for the vent the other for combustion air both going to the outdoors?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

The professional informed that this was source of not only CO and gas into the crawl space but allowed CO to be pulled into the burner (flame) area reducing effeicency to dangerous levels. (This is vented with PVC pipe only) ....."You can't smell CO !"
1610 CUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
oops, did I do that!

Rewards Points: 250

Those holes dont appear to be anywhere near the heat exchanger, and if the combustion air inlet was piped to the outdoors...hmm.

It looks like the condensate was leaking and rotted a hole in the cabinet, but the cabinet isnt part of the sealed system, at least not where its rotted.

Last edited by 8 Ball; 10-08-2008 at 06:04 PM.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Those holes dont appear to be anywhere near the heat exchanger, and if the combustion air inlet was piped to the outdoors...hmm.

It looks like the condensate was leaking and rotted a hole in the cabinet, but the cabinet isnt part of the sealed system, at least not where its rotted.
I agree 100% They nay have had a gas leak that they smelt when it started.

1610 CUB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas heat, hvac, new furnace.