Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #1

Share |

How does $5000 sound?

Hey all - I've posted on this topic before. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a solution. I had a guy out who is trusted, and here's what he suggested.

First - I'm finishing an area of my basement where the HVAC unit and ducts currently sit/run. The unit is 12 years old but still works fine. I called him figuring I'd need a new system since it's needs to be moved anyway.

After talking it through, instead, he said he'd move my existing system, re-run all ducts to old (and now new) locations, make sure supply/return is balanced (he said my system was presently out of balance). Finally - he'd put in a zoned system/unit on top.

So in the end, I've have my old unit moved, all ductwork done, a zoned system (so thus a thermotstat in my basement and on my first floor).

His price guestimate for this was $5000.

This does not include replacement of any of the units, however.

According to him (and some people here) - just because they are old doesn't mean they are bad. By balancing the system and adding a zoned system - I could even extend the life.

How does this sound to all of you? With $5000 as a benchmark -are there any alternatives?

BTW - I'm in Atlanta.

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

How does $5000 sound?

Only a contractor that actually sees your job can know what it will cost. People over the internet can say its low or high. But since they haven't seen the job, its just a bunch of WAGs.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
Experienced

How does $5000 sound?

If you were diagnosed with a terminal desease wouldn't you want a second opinion?

I think you should have one here to.

Mark
Old 03-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #4

How does $5000 sound?

Quote:
WAGs
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #5

How does $5000 sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denemante View Post

How does this sound to all of you? With $5000 as a benchmark -are there any alternatives?
For a DIY forum, 5000 is an arm and a leg. And there is no equipment either. I'd say that is really expensive. But if you hate sheet metal, it's worth it.

-Jeff
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #6

How does $5000 sound?

You need the second, third and fourth opinion....

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
how

How does $5000 sound?

Telling us what brand and model may help us with whether to change it or not. In my neck of the woods 12 years is still young and would really need to be a lemon to justify tossing it. I doubt that you'll extend it's life with these changes but so what.
Ask him to break down the material and labour costs. Find out how long it will take him to do the whole job so youv'e got an idea of his hourly rate. Ask him to tell you what potential extras might be encountered. Get him to write all this stuff down on the contract for you when he's answering you.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

How does $5000 sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
Telling us what brand and model may help us with whether to change it or not. In my neck of the woods 12 years is still young and would really need to be a lemon to justify tossing it. I doubt that you'll extend it's life with these changes but so what.
Ask him to break down the material and labour costs. Find out how long it will take him to do the whole job so youv'e got an idea of his hourly rate. Ask him to tell you what potential extras might be encountered. Get him to write all this stuff down on the contract for you when he's answering you.
Most contractors don't break down pricing.

Even if I broke down a bid, hiding labor cost is easy, since I can just make the equipment more expensive, and the labor less, or inflate the hours. So you have a misconception of my labor rate. But I don't break down my estimates. Since my price is a fixed price. My customers also don't pay extra for missing my guess on time, and if I get lucky and it goes in faster then thought, yep, I make a few extra bucks.

When having a contractor do work for you. The lower bids often don't have time "can't afford" to come back out quickly if a problem does arise.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote