How Do You Seal Holes In House From AC Hoses? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 382

How do you seal holes in house from AC hoses?

How do you seal holes in house from AC hoses? The pictures show the two such areas that I need to seal. The bigger PVC pipe is now being sealed by plumbers putty. I don't know if this type of material is a viable material to seal such an area. I don't think that this is a good material to use on the other hoses being shown as the hole is to big to fill in with plumbers putty.

I have heard of something called duct seal. Is this something that can be used? if so, where can it be purchased? Is it called by something different? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you seal holes in house from AC hoses?-ac.jpg   How do you seal holes in house from AC hoses?-ac1.jpg  

Advertisement

kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

Good high quality white silicone is what I use and my company. Duct seal is like heavier plumbers putty and will dry out, shrink, crack and fall out in a year or two. plumbers putty is meant for putting under sinks B4 you set them down and keeps water from going underneath. not meant for anything else. Duct seal is silly putty that kids used to have and a bit heavier.

Silicone, plain and simple.

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 01:00 AM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

anything is fine for that scenario. Real question is, and now that we know that heat penetration is a concern of yours (last and least amount being copper line set) is what's your goal? Who led you to believe that that was a serious energy consumption concern and why?

Attic sealing is where your attention needs to be focused as well as window(s) sealing.

that's where your money is being taken advantage of concerning heat loss.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
anything is fine for that scenario. Real question is, and now that we know that heat penetration is a concern of yours (last and least amount being copper line set) is what's your goal? Who led you to believe that that was a serious energy consumption concern and why?

Attic sealing is where your attention needs to be focused as well as window(s) sealing.

that's where your money is being taken advantage of concerning heat loss.
Yes energy loss is a small concern but I want to seal the holes to reduce the chance of animals, insects and other things entering inside.

I have ready addressed the attic and window issues. Thanks.
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 822

That service disconnect is too low,leaning toward inaccessible.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,696

I thought I was reading the same book but some has torn two complete pages from my copy.

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote