Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #1

Share |

How do I submit Honeywell Product Feedback

I have a few innovations for Honeywell thermostats I'd like to send to corporate, anyone know how to do that? I don't see "contact us" on their website..

1. I'm sick and tired of trading off energy energy efficiency for comfort in every feature.. Most people agree longer cycle times are 1. easier on the equipment. 2. more energy efficient. Please offer settings on the control window of 0.5F, 1F, 1.5F and 2.0F. I really like many of the features of the thermostat and don't want to have to buy a White Rogers just to get this feature.

2. When the heat pump goes into defrost cycle on a system that uses fossil fuel backup, the outdoor unit (heat pump) flips the reversing valve and goes into cooling mode. It also engages the W line which intern calls for the Aux/Em heat so you don't basically run your AC in the middle of the winter... This turns on the furnace. If the furnace then heats the house ever so slightly, the thermostat turns off the main call for heat and the heatpump doesn't complete it's defrost cycle. This appears to cause a much louder POP in the heat pump than if it completes it's defrost cycle completely.. This also short cycles the furnace. A great product innovation would be to look at the Aux/Em line (W to the Furnace), if the call for heat from the heat pump is energized and the indoor thermostat is suggesting that the heat turn off, wait for the Em/Aux call for backup heat line to de-assert before removing the main call for heat. As a backup wait 10 minutes or have a secondary temp limit in case there is some fault with the defrost, you could throw an error code in that case..

3. Fix the CPH setting so that it works. I expect to see the little "wait" like i see for the 5 minute compressor cutout if the thermostat is trying to Cycle the compressor more than I set it to allow.

-Jeff

Last edited by zootjeff; 03-28-2011 at 09:29 AM.
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

and here I thought when a heat pump goes into defrost mode it runs in cooling mode..

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
and here I thought when a heat pump goes into defrost mode it runs in cooling mode..
It does. And if the furnace didn't turn on too, it would put out really cold air at the registers, I think you may have missed my point, I'll edit my post to be more clear.. Hows' that?

Last edited by zootjeff; 03-28-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post
It does. And if the furnace didn't turn on too, it would put out really cold air at the registers, I'll edit my post to be more clear.. Hows' that?

In the defrost cycle, the heat pump is automatically operated in reverse, for a moment, in the cooling cycle. This action temporarily warms up the outdoor coil and melts the frost from the coil. In this defrost cycle, the outdoor fan is prevented from turning on when the heat pump switches over, and the temperature rise of the outdoor coil is accelerated and increased.

The heat pump will operate in the defrost cycle until the outdoor coil temperature reaches around 57 F. The time it takes to melt and remove accumulated frost from an outdoor coil will vary, depending on the amount of frost and the internal timing device of the system.

Interior Heating Element

During this defrost cycle with older heat pumps, the indoor unit might be operating with the fan blowing cool air. To prevent cool air from being produced and distributed inside the house, an electric heating element can be installed and engaged at the same time as the defrost cycle. In defrost mode, this heating element will automatically turn on, or the interior blower fan will turn off. The heating component is wired up to the second stage of a two-stage thermostat.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Doc, Yup, That is all good stuff. That is still not my point and I agree with all of that.

My point is the thermostat will not wait to complete the defrost cycle because it ignores the line from the heatpump that tells it that it's in the defrost cycle. Simply pay attention to that line and it would save wear and tear on the equipment.. I have a furnace rather than heat strips, but that isn't the issue either..
Old 03-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #6

I've asked about running (gas)heat during defrost, and unless I'm mistaken, the response has been that since the coil is downstream of the furnace (as opposed to heat strips being downstream of coil), that pressures would rise to unacceptable limits.

V
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesubotee View Post
I've asked about running (gas)heat during defrost, and unless I'm mistaken, the response has been that since the coil is downstream of the furnace (as opposed to heat strips being downstream of coil), that pressures would rise to unacceptable limits.

V
Hmm.. Yes, this is the case with my system. The furnace heats the coils in defrost... Hmm I get conflicting info on this.. I was told to do this by the intaller and by others.. But yes. This is not the same as an electric furnace where the heatstrips are after the coils....

Should I disconnect the W from the furnace?