DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   HVAC (
-   -   How do I seal the seam in rubber flex piece? (

faithfulfrank 06-26-2008 02:30 PM

How do I seal the seam in rubber flex piece?
Hello all,
I am in the middle of installing a somewhat complicated A/C ductwork system in my NY house.
I have installed anti viberation pieces in both the cold air return and the supply trunks on either side of the plenum.
I do not know if I am discribing it correctly, but I am talking about a black, rubber-like collar that goes into the ductwork to stop any viberation from the air handler. You install it with s- cleat, but you have a seam where the piece of rubber meets.

How do you seal that flex seam? Do you use some type of adhesive or caulk?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Frank D.

HvacWiz 06-26-2008 06:07 PM

they do make duct sealer

faithfulfrank 06-26-2008 08:19 PM

thank you. I know they make duct sealer......the stuff I'm thinking of as duct sealer comes in a pail and you brush it on. It is an off white color.
I've used it on the A/C unit at my Florida house.

I'm sure that stuff I'm familiar with would not work in this case. Here, I am sealing the seam on a black rubber-like flexible area about 4-5 inches long.

Frank D.

bginvestor 06-26-2008 11:13 PM


I have a roof pack system and the installer did not use any vibration collars in or out. The metal duct work goes right into roof pack. Is this an indication/validation of a cheap install?

Also, he used standard metal tape to seal around the duct work, is there a better product?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.