Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How to clean evaporator coils

I'm having problems with my furnace and I think it is related to restricted air flow. I cleaned the top of my condenser coils but the bottom is where the dirt would be. Could I remove either of these two flanges (one shown in yellow and the other in red) to gain access to the bottom of the coils? The first picture doesnt show the coils but the second picture shows the top of the coils after I removed the metal sorround.

If it matters, it is a Goodman furnace (GMP075-3 REV B) and a Rheem AC unit and condenser coil. I'm pretty sure I'll have to replace my limit switch too but I want to fix what's causing it to trip first.

loftezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 34

no you won't have access because you will run into the heat exchanger,,and that is not how you clean the coils.....we remove a-coil from off furnace to clean it well..... vac out freon or pull it into it self undue line set ..remove coil clean, reinstall, hook up line set vac system ckeck for leaks recharge ..good to go..

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
as seen on tv

Remove the center of the of the evaporator coil in pick 2 and pull blower and clean the wheel. a good brush pulls the hair and crud nicely
qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbert View Post
Remove the center of the of the evaporator coil in pick 2 and pull blower and clean the wheel. a good brush pulls the hair and crud nicely

I totally missed those screws! I hope it is as easy as it sounds!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
as seen on tv

Coil removal is easier to clean but overkill ,if it is not leaking it stays in place
Old 12-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 18

Upflow systems require dismantling of the system. Hopefully you have flex duct up top as you'll need to remove the plenum from the evaporator and then lift the evaporator off of the furnace.

You're going to have to remove that exhaust flue pipe first as well. Be careful of the refrigerant lines, do not kink them or you'll have serious issues, costly issues.

That's one way.

The other way is simply pulling the entire evaporator forward with the front panel off. This requires that the drain line be removed. The pan and all will slide forward with the evaporator. Granted we usually pump the system's refrigerant down (trap freon in compressor) and cut the copper lineset and take the entire coil (insides) outdoOrs and take some chemical and then the hose to it, something a normal home owner will not have the tOols or knowledge to do. Again, this way requires the metal flue pipe removed and out of the way first.

Unfortunately there is no beating around the bush on this, not when it comes to upflow systems if you want it done right. You will not be able to do much by way of those two screws alone, if at all. We don't even attempt that. Just silly in all honesty.

It's all the way or no way at all.
ben's plumbing (12-21-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
as seen on tv

would you do a pump down on that unit or use a recovery machine?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

What's a recovery machine?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
as seen on tv

just wondering, If the system has service valves on a system of that age they will almost always leak . Not to mention proper evacuation time and new drier. That would be considered doing it right i suppose. Most diy would not have the knowledge and tools for such a repair
Old 12-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 34

how about we let lofte ask another question to see if he still wants to attempt this repair....or call someone.....we already know what needs done...
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

I can't say I've ever come across a condenser without service valves. It's a new filter and a nitrogen pressure test follwed by triple evacuation (nitrogen up to 3 psig per evac and let sit there for ten minutes and then evac, nitrogen to 3 psig for ten minutes, repeat), vaccum to 500 microns, let the refrigerant out and turn it on.

Or as close time permitting to that sequence.
ben's plumbing (12-21-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

I can't say I've always added a new filter on an upflow evaporator cleaning either. If I don't need to break the lines than I don't.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #13

Thanks for all of the advice.

I'm actually already done and my house is a nice 68 degrees. I might even take off my sweater!

I ended up removing three pieces of the flu to get access to the coil housing. I removed the screws that held the triangle piece of sheet metal but I had a heck of a time getting the top of the triangle loose because it was held in place by a tab. The inside of the coil was completely covered in a thin layer of hard "stuff." I used my shop vac with the brush attachment from my regular house vacuum. I was extremely careful and didn't bend any fins.

I put everything back together and it works great! It blows really hard now and heats up my house really quick. The flame doesn't cycle on and off costantly now, so I'm assuming the limit switch is fine. It was doing its job when the coil was clogged.

I'm sure I didn't do as good as a job as a professional, but it works great now. And I saved $550 that the technician wanted to charge me for changing the limit switch and cleaning the coil.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
I'm Your Huckleberry

Good deal but yes, it's still blocked up in there. No way a vacuum hose will reach where it's supposed to in an upflow A coil, there isn't the room. The thing about removing the coil is since it's an upflow is that you need to clean in downflow to remove ALL existing particals of dirt and hair and whetever else is stuck in the fins, on the tubing on the inside. That stuff is still there but you are correct, that layer was your biggest problem so good you at least got that out of the way.

The chemical and removing it would make it like brand new but again, if it's good now then

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 12-22-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote