How To Clean Bloower Compartment - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to clean bloower compartment

I opened up my blower compartment and it's pretty dusty in there, and even has some hairs in there from the air circulating. I thought the filter would catch all of that, but I guess not.

Should I clean this out? If so, what's the best way. I was thinking with a brush attachment on the end of a shop vac, but I don't want to hurt anything, especially the circuit board. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Advertisement

humdinger0102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

I'd have to think that you have an air leak some where in the return chase and/or that the system has been run without filters here and there.

You are more than likely also going to have a dirty supply plenum which is an easy clean. You can pull of a duct or two and take a vacuum to the inside of the plenum.

Take a small paint brush for (manual dusting dust) and a dust pan to the inside of the unit and be very careful around all wires. You can also take your shop vac to it, just be extremely careful and make certain the power is off to unit which it should be once you remove the door but I'd still shut off the breaker to be on the safe side.

Advertisement

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

And have the evaporator coil cleaned, it's gotta be dirty/clogged up too which means your system is not efficient and is struggling. Higher electric bill too.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
Still Learning

Rewards Points: 250

It might be overkill but this is what i do... Disconnect the wires to the control board and pull out the whole blower assembly. If you dont know how to wire up a control board then simply write everything down as you pull wires off. That will allow you to clean the whole inside of the blower compartment without too much trouble. You can even carry it to the garage and blow it out with a compressor.
thehvacguy is offline   Reply With Quote