Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Cool

How can I heat and cool basement?

Any suggestions as to the most effecient and economical way to heat/cool a basement?

I was going with the pellet stove/ AC approach but wanted to find out if there were any other set ups.

Any feedback on the Japanese heating/cooling consoles?

Thanks.

Leoskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

There are several brands of mini split systems you could use

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 82

I just took a course on the Fujitsu mini split units. They make them in heat pumps also. They are incredibly high tech and efficient. 19 SEER and higher. Use a ECM modulating variable speed compressor which is very efficient and a bunch of other cool techniques. Probably a bit pricey to install but will save lots of elec $$ in the long run. Quite reliable as they sell them in Russia where the power is bad.
http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
I just took a course on the Fujitsu mini split units. They make them in heat pumps also. They are incredibly high tech and efficient. 19 SEER and higher. Use a ECM modulating variable speed compressor which is very efficient and a bunch of other cool techniques. Probably a bit pricey to install but will save lots of elec $$ in the long run. Quite reliable as they sell them in Russia where the power is bad.
http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/

What would cost look like? Ive looked online and found the units running around 1.5K to 2K. I thought the installation was pretty straight forward. You install wall unit near the ceiling, run a line outdoors and you set the compressor/pump outside on a flat surface.

Is there something that I am missing? Im not experienced in installation by any means but the info online made it seem simple.

ANy other alternatives?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Simple? Unfortunately not if you want the unit too last and work PROPERLY. There are minimum pipe lengths and procedures to follow for charging it up etc. Proper wiring techniques etc etc. Just like loading computer software "the devil is in the details". They are VERY efficient units and well built from what I have seen. I am not selling them yet so don't know the cost. They can do some amazing things with that variable speed compressor which no one else can. Better humidity control and longer cycles. I would never recommend those for DIYers or inexperienced techs. Someone who has installed lots of them would be recommended. Those are the Lexus units and in an area with high $$ elec costs will be well worth it.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Simple? Unfortunately not if you want the unit too last and work PROPERLY. There are minimum pipe lengths and procedures to follow for charging it up etc. Proper wiring techniques etc etc. Just like loading computer software "the devil is in the details". They are VERY efficient units and well built from what I have seen. I am not selling them yet so don't know the cost. They can do some amazing things with that variable speed compressor which no one else can. Better humidity control and longer cycles. I would never recommend those for DIYers or inexperienced techs. Someone who has installed lots of them would be recommended. Those are the Lexus units and in an area with high $$ elec costs will be well worth it.
Sounds like sound advice. lol. I dont plan on installing myself. I was just stating how easy they make it look for installation. Im doing the everything except the electrical portion, this would include the heat/cool unit.

Does anyone know the formula for figuring out the correct size?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
HVAC / Plumbing

I have not installed or sold any . I have taken some classes on the LG brand.......According to some (I don't know that to b true) that is the future of heating / cooling & that's about all you see in europe. I've never been there so I don't know... The LG brand have some fancy diffusers That you hang on the wall & put pictures in.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Correct size needs a heat load calc:Load Calculator

Fujitsu is HUGE, they own Siemens in Germany and have 1/2 to 3/4 the Asian market. Singapore and all those humid places/condos etc must love these units.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:13 AM   #9

Found Mitsubishi and also Hitachi models. Any preference?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #10
HVAC / Plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoskee View Post
Found Mitsubishi and also Hitachi models. Any preference?

Some may argue But,
As far as I'am concerned.. Name is no big deal
Old 03-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #11

Does anyone else have a different set up for heating/cooling a basement?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 150

How big is the basement.

is the heating system for the rest of the house in the basement also.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #13
Hvac Pro

Further to Beentheres path: is the basement finished, ducts accessible. You may be able to buy a high efficiency furnace and A/C and put in a zoning system but it is not a DIY project and is pricey like everything else. Lennox.com. G61V furnace and Harmony III zoning system.
http://www.lennox.com/products/overv...=Harmony%20III

Last edited by yuri; 03-19-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #14

The basement is roughly 500 sq ft. The boiler is in the basement but since it works on steam and gravity I dont think I can tap into that for heating purposes. Everything has been striped down. I have small casement windows that have an opening of 14 in.

I plan on setting up an 9x5 full bath and the rest will be used as a family room. I will partition the laundry area and the boiler/water heater area behind a wall in order to keep that area open for easy access to plumping and sewage lines.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
Hvac Pro

I think your best bet is a mini split heat pump professionally installed by a reputable contractor who has done at least 2 dozen of them. You can have 2 air handler/fan units if necessary. The Fujitsu is probably the most energy efficient but is the most complicated. LG, Samsung etc are all good units as they sell hordes of them in Europe/Asia so they have a track record. Does it get hot enough in the basement to need A/C? If it is just humid then a large capacity de-humidifier and some circ fans may do the trick.