Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #1

Share |

House not cooling properly

background:
Late 1800's stick frame construction, wood siding, open 1st floor, vaulted ceilings in 2nd. 1336 Sqft. modern (<10 yrs) furnace/blower, <1yr outside A/C unit. moved in last fall.

Today was one of the first really warm days of the year in my area (central oh). Turned on the AC when I got home from work today and the thermostat hasnt budged from 80. Using my digital cooking thermometer (scientific, i know) i read 81 by the thermostat, 61 inside the duct of the longest run on 1st floor, and 62 inside the duct of the longest run on the 2nd floor.

registers as follows:
4 upstairs: 2 in each of the upstairs bedrooms, none in hall or bathroom
5 downstairs, one blocked off (figured out this winter that doing that brought the temp upstairs and down closer to balance.

flow seems healthy at most registers. one return first floor, one second floor. ducting is that flexible insulated stuff.

any ideas? i think i may not have enough ducts, but without a way of of measuring CFM at each register and comparing to total requirements i have no idea. i've taken a look at some of the information on manual J and D and i'm pretty sure its beyond me.

thanks yall.

sayitaintso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

How hot was it outside. How long was it running when you last checked and the temp had not dropped?

Takes a long time to remove all the heat that built up in the house during the day.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #3

It could be as simple as the unit being low on charge. At any rate that is the first thing that needs to be checked. Measure the temperature at the closest supply to the HVAC unit. Check your filter(s). Since the condenser is new, perhaps there is a small leak. Too many variables to list, have a tech do a service call and start there.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote