DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   HVAC (
-   -   Hot Water Heating, burst/frozen pipes, use pex etc??? (

diyjohn 11-14-2008 04:55 AM

Hot Water Heating, burst/frozen pipes, use pex etc???
Good Morning, looking for someone in who does boiler/hot water heating repairs... I recently bought a property which went thru the winter without properly winterizing the hot water heating system and I have found a few burst fittings in the wall/ceiling... It looks like black iron was used... 3/4" main with 1/2" branch lines... I am wondering if there is a substitute such as the newer pex tubing that may be used in this system... The house is about 60 years old and has a tube and fin radiator (not baseboard)... Any way it would make the repair a lot easier if a flexible piping/tubing could be used and would also have fewer joints... Any suggestions??? Thank you, John

beenthere 11-14-2008 06:07 AM

Hpex can be used.

diyjohn 11-14-2008 03:22 PM

Thank you beenthere... i will look into the hpex... what type of fittings can be used to connect the hpex to the iron, is it brass, stainless or????? I have already made some repairs using iron pipe but it was a bear, there have been some tight spaces and i am thinking that if i find another burst fitting that i would like to try something more flexible... Obviously this system was originally installed before all of the walls etc were finished... Also I would assume this system gets up to 180+ degrees, maybe 200???... Later, John

beenthere 11-14-2008 05:07 PM

Only Hpex fittings. They're brass.

They are special fittings. You'll have to get them from the same supplier that you get your Hpex from.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.