Hot Water Heater - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

hot water heater

Not sure if this is HVAC or plumbing question...but here goes-
I have a techtanium 55 indirect hot water heater with a burnham es5 boiler (gas). Both units are 18 months old. For the past few days I have been running out of hot water. It seems the only way to get the boiler to run is when I have heat running to the radiators. When I run the house thermostat a small quantity of water heats up (seems like the proper temp.), enough for a couple of showers, before water becomes tepid then cold. Any ideas what may be causing this? Both units were professiolnally installed, but was hoping maybe a diy fix.
Thanks

Advertisement

sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
how

Rewards Points: 626

hot water heater

I would start by examining if the zone valve that controls the boiler firing/pump run & water flow through your indirect heater is working properly. Most Zone valves have covers that slide off. Examine how the suspect zone valve works compared to any of the other zone valves when there is a thermostat call for heat.
Check if the ZV motor is opening up the valve enough to engage it's internal electrical proving switch. Usually the switch or the ZV motor is the fault. It sounds like your ZV motor might be frozen in a partially open position or the proving switch is not being activated so that only the house thermostats can supply the indirect heater with a hot water flow.

Advertisement

Last edited by how; 04-02-2013 at 12:15 PM.
how is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #3

hot water heater

Thanks for the help. I toggled the spring inside the ZV a bit and the boiler kicked on. Appears to be firing ever since. Do you advise to change the ZV or should this continue to work?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 152

hot water heater

Depending on the brand, you can just replace the powerhead assy which has the motor and end switch in one part.Wont need to replace whole valve assy.
HVACTECH96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #5

hot water heater

thanks