Hot Water Coil Troubles - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hot water coil troubles

Hi i am having trouble with a hydronic forced air hot water coil. It is mounted in the return air handler of my system. I have replaced it 2 times now cause of what looks to me to be electrolysis around the top 2 copper tubes where they meet the steel frame of the coil housing. So if this is the case is it a good idea to add a ground directly from the case of the coil to the ground bar in my electrical panel. or is this just a case of bad luck with 2 consecutive defective coils (seems to strange to be ) they last about 2-3 years before i see the leak start. I also froze one of the coils previously so i have changed this thing 3 times now in all. I am getting real good at replacing the coil but would like to not have to replace again. any advise or idea are greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

itscoldinhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 504
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Hot water coil troubles

I'm no expert on this, hence the screen name, but could a dielectric fitting/union to connect the 2 dissimilar metals work for this?

Advertisement

wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 882

Hot water coil troubles

Do you have any unusual fumes in your house/basement. Ie: is the wife running a hair salon and using peroxides? Chemicals may eat your coil. Do you have a workshop/paint booth nearby?
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Hot water coil troubles

The coil is pre built and assembled through the steel frame so no fittings are involved here. its really just a radiator much like the one in a car just with no tanks on the sides. and no to the smells/fumes, although the house has been undergoing a remodel for some time now. So for the most part the house is vacant. but i keep the heat on for me to work in warmth. I was going with more of maybe a bad ground to the thermostat on the coil, and is why i was thinking of adding my own just not sure if this will cause any other problems or is a good idea at all. Im not an electrician but i dont see how it could hurt (also spoke to a friend that is in the hvac field and says he has not seen this happen before so... )
itscoldinhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 882

Hot water coil troubles

Is there a brand name of the coil and what is it? I have seen some really poor quality A/C coils fail prematurely so quality can be an issue. I have never seen your problem in 30 yrs and would suspect some environmental problem.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote