Hood / Vent Requirements For Gas Stove - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 268

Hood / Vent Requirements for Gas Stove

We're remodeling our kitchen, and one of the layouts puts the gas stove (cooktop & oven) below an existing window. That makes it very difficult (read: impossible) to install a traditional hood above the stove.

First question, is there a requirement to have a range hood? This is an average 4 burner stove, nothing industrial.

Second question, is there even a requirement to have a vent in the kitchen? If I don't need a hood, I could likely still have a vent, just not over the stove.

Finally, if the hood is needed, would it still be needed if we had a gas cooktop, but electric ovens elsewhere. IOW, is it the combination of cooktop & ovens that requires a hood (if one is required at all).

And yes, we're still considering if we'd even want a stove w/out a hood, but if we can't do it, then whether we'd want it isn't relevant.

Advertisement

WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaldenL For This Useful Post:
Diana Peters (06-25-2011)
Old 09-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Hood / Vent Requirements for Gas Stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldenL View Post
We're remodeling our kitchen, and one of the layouts puts the gas stove (cooktop & oven) below an existing window. That makes it very difficult (read: impossible) to install a traditional hood above the stove.

First question, is there a requirement to have a range hood? This is an average 4 burner stove, nothing industrial.

Second question, is there even a requirement to have a vent in the kitchen? If I don't need a hood, I could likely still have a vent, just not over the stove.

Finally, if the hood is needed, would it still be needed if we had a gas cooktop, but electric ovens elsewhere. IOW, is it the combination of cooktop & ovens that requires a hood (if one is required at all).

And yes, we're still considering if we'd even want a stove w/out a hood, but if we can't do it, then whether we'd want it isn't relevant.
You might consider a downdraft vent. They aren't great with gas, but it would tend to solve the layout issue.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if the window is as big a problem as you're thinking. There are plenty of vent hoods designed to be installed above islands. This situation would seem to be a step above an island in terms of having the structure of the wall to tie into. Perhaps I'm "misunderestimating" the window in question, though.

I can't speak to whether the hood is needed. I spent 8 months house shopping over 2008-2009 and I'd say the houses I saw were about 2/3rds with and 1/3rd without.

I think you're going to want one, though. Having just moved out of a place that had a hood that vented right into the room, I can say with some authority that a good externally-vented hood is a nice thing to have if you do any amount of cooking.

Advertisement

TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote