Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #1

Share |

Honeywell Visionpro 8000 questions

Good afternoon all and thanks for such a valuable forum. My situation is this: I live in south GA and have a 4 ton heat pump on my lower level. I recently changed the thermostat to a Visionpro8000 (model TH8321U1006). Everything worked great for air conditioning during the summer but I've run into some issues with heating. Per the efficiency guidelines in the manual I have a 6 degree setback during the night (62 degrees changing to 68 at 5:30am). What concerns me is that regardless of the outside temperature the unit always uses strip heat to reach my set temperature which is killing any energy savings that the adaptive intelligent recovery is supposed to give. This happens if it's 30 degrees outside and the temp has dropped all the way to 62 or if it's 55 outside and the temp has only dropped to 66. Additionally some days the heat either comes on too early or too late which I believe is related to our constantly changing nighttime temps. I had hoped to install the outdoor sensor (which is the reason I went with the upgraded visionpro 8000)but I've since discovered that there is no way for me to run another wire to my thermostat based on its location. At this point I'm considering replacing it with a visionpro IAQ since I could use the existing wire to run the stat (only using three of the existing wires and terminating the rest) and mount the iaq "brainbox" in the attic on the unit. I would then be able to run another wire for the outdoor sensor directly to the soffet. Does this sound reasonable and if so can I expect to eliminate the strip heat issue (by adjusting the lockout to say 35 degrees) and by sensing the outdoor temp would the stat be able to do a better job of hitting my target temp at the right time with the adaptive intelligent recovery? I apologize for being so long winded and thanks in advance for any help.

ramblin-wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #2

Even if you had an outdoor sensor on the stat you have now, you can only lockout the aux heat down to 40 degrees, I think thats a little high.
I think the iaq lets you lockout down to a lower temp.

Now, if you are setting your heat back that low at night, your unit may be cheaper to run if you just let the auxillary come on and help the unit catch up quicker.

sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
Even if you had an outdoor sensor on the stat you have now, you can only lockout the aux heat down to 40 degrees, I think thats a little high.
I think the iaq lets you lockout down to a lower temp.

Now, if you are setting your heat back that low at night, your unit may be cheaper to run if you just let the auxillary come on and help the unit catch up quicker.
Yeah you're right even if I could run the sensor 40 is the lowest you can lock it out whereas the IAQ lets you go as low as 5 degrees (which of course I would never do). I wondered if the strip heat was actually costing me that much but I guess I'm kinda from the old school where avoiding strip heat if at all possible is the best thing. Thanks again for the help!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

A round about way to do what you want. is to install 2 outdoor sensors, and wire them in parallel.

Then set for 40, would lock out at 11, set to 45 would be 16, set to 50 would be 21, set to 55 would be 27, and set to 60 would be 30.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
A round about way to do what you want. is to install 2 outdoor sensors, and wire them in parallel.

Then set for 40, would lock out at 11, set to 45 would be 16, set to 50 would be 21, set to 55 would be 27, and set to 60 would be 30.
Yeah but unfortunately I can't run the wire to the thermostat which is why I'm considering purchasing an IAQ. It's no problem running a seperate 18/2 to the attic for a sensor but getting it to the actual stat is next to impossible.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
AKA HVACTECHFW

You really should not use set back with a heat pump system, especially 6 degrees. If you dont use Aux backup heat to bring the temp back up your HP may run for hours and hours to bring the temp in the home back up depending upon the outdoor temp. At most I would do a 2 degree setback.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
You really should not use set back with a heat pump system, especially 6 degrees. If you dont use Aux backup heat to bring the temp back up your HP may run for hours and hours to bring the temp in the home back up depending upon the outdoor temp. At most I would do a 2 degree setback.
So would it actually be more efficient to have a 2 degree setback for a 24 hour period even though no one is home during the day and we are asleep at night? If so I may have to rethink everything!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
AKA HVACTECHFW

I don't think that setback is beneficial at all with a HP system. I have a HP system and do not use any setback other than higher temp during the weekend because I am home more often.

The thing to take into consideration is how long it takes to recover from a setback temp and how often you will need to recover and how much it costs per said amount of time to recover.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
I don't think that setback is beneficial at all with a HP system. I have a HP system and do not use any setback other than higher temp during the weekend because I am home more often.

The thing to take into consideration is how long it takes to recover from a setback temp and how often you will need to recover and how much it costs per said amount of time to recover.
I just assumed with the newer high efficiency units and a well insulated house recovery time would be less costly than heating/cooling empty space but I may be completely wrong. Of course my wife prefers it cooler during the night so keeping the heat on 68 isn't really an option either (the added recovery cost would probably be drastically cheaper than a divorce!)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
AKA HVACTECHFW

I keep mine on 67 during the week and 70 on the weekends. But everyone has their own comfort level. I'm the type of person though that believes in sweatshirts and blankets instead of heating the home excessively. But again, I'm cheap.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #11

I agree that is a drastic setback for a heatpump to recover from. Heat pumps are great at maintaining heat but lousy at recovering. I set mine back 1 degree at night time. If your wife wants the bedroom cold, crack a window...
Baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #12

When wiring in the IAQ EIM are there any additional wires that need to be run from the air handler or condensing unit? I'm under the impression that the 6 wires that currently run to my visionpro 8000 would be cut at the unit and wired directly to the EIM and then I could pick three of the 6 to run to the stat and connect them to the EIM for power and data and terminate the remaining three. Am I off on this? If there are more wires that need to be run I may just settle on the prestige hd without IAQ since it has a wireless outdoor sensor and would be a direct replacement for my visionpro 8000. I've contacted honeywell to make check on the aux lockout setting to see how low it can be.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Uses the same number of wires from the air handler and condenser as the 8000.

And yes, only need 3 wires between the EIM and thermostat.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Uses the same number of wires from the air handler and condenser as the 8000.

And yes, only need 3 wires between the EIM and thermostat.
Great that was what I was hoping to hear! Unfortunately now that my wife has seen the prestige hd with the "pretty colors" I may have to go that route. Aside from the clicking that would now take place at the EIM rather than the stat is there any real benefit with an IAQ unit instead of the prestige hd since I have a straight 2H/1C system with no humidity control?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Not really.