DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Honeywell TrueSteam Humidifier?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jaymes 
#1 ·
I'm considering adding a Honeywell TrueSteam humidifier to my gas heating system(s). I'd like to humidify a 4,300 sq. ft. house with three floors and three separate heating units. I'm considering a steam unit because the area where I live (Williamsburg, VA) has very expensive water rates and I've read that these type of systems are much more water efficient.

The first and second floors have Goodman natural gas heating units. The finished attic has a Mitsubishi mini-split. The unit that serves the first floor is located in an insulated garage right next to my hot water heater and near an electrical outlet. The unit that serves the second floor is located in an unconditioned space within the attic, which exceeds the operating range of the TrueSteam.

Here are my questions.
1. Will one TrueSteam installed on the garage system cover the entire home?
2. If so, what size TrueSteam unit will I need?
3. How difficult is the system to install?
4. For those of you who have the TrueSteam system, how do you like it?
5. Is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Your house, is larger then a single Truesteam can handle.
But, Truesteams can be remote mounted.
So it would be possible to mount one somewhere within 20' fo the second floor unit, and run the hose to the duct of the second floor unit.

Giving you 2 Truesteams.

Have you tried to seal your house bettter. Leaky houses need humidifiers, tight houses don't.

#3 · (Edited)
I have installed those units and they are very tricky to size and install. They need lots of airflow and have specific locations for the spray nozzle etc. They need a separate 120 volt circuit to the unit. Can use up to 10 amps. I would try find a contractor with experience on them to install it. If not done right the steam can condense in the ductwork and damage will occur. They are good for large furnaces with lots of airflow/large ducts. I would guess that it costs as much for the electricity for the heating element as it would for water with the other types. They are very good for large applications where more humidity is required than a flo thru can produce. Do lots of reading and research B4 installing one of these. Let me know if you want more info. http://customer.honeywell.com/Honeywell/UI/Pages/Catalog/ComponentCategory.aspx?Catalog=Homes&Category=Steam+Humidifiers_10961&ChannelID={2EB2F178-20ED-44E0-97FB-CCFB4218DD64} Go to the bottom of those pages for install manuals/pdf files etc.

Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.