Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Honeywell Screen Went Blank II

Have a Honeywell Prestige (THX9000); backlight went dark. Has been dark for more than a week (not flickering or anything).

Is hard-wired so no accessible battery to change.

Everything else is working fine, as I have the remote control unit and when I use that, I hear clicking at wall thermostat and unit goes on and off accordingly.

I have read the other thread. No loose connections, condensate switch still working, etc.

(I installed this myself over 2 years ago, and have not had one problem with it. Although I'm afraid to admit that to Honeywell CS when I call them, or any other tech I call, as I'm thinking self install may void the warranty(?)

Any thoughts on backlight? Will self-install void warranty?

Thanks.

diy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

void warrenty sure they will tell you that,so you call a guy out and get banged$$$ do you have a R and C on the subbase? might need a constant 24Vs with stat in hand to power the show.most stats worked on aback feed but once the LED solid state types arrived feed back wasn't enough the stat lit up but just sat no action....clean pins and contacts with Q-Tip/alc...on the void issue unless it say it on the box they are so full of it their eyes are brown

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Called Honeywell, they said backlit burnout could be due to "fluctuations in voltage." They said call original contractor who installed it and have them replace it.

I didn't tell them I installed it. (I bought it from on online therm vendor.)

On front of installation guide it says "Must be installed by a trained, experienced tech. Failure can damage the product or cause a harzardous condition." Doesn't mention voiding the warranty. Also no where on the warranty page in the operating manual does it refer to professional installation or voiding the warranty.

However I'm sure there was no problem with install as it has been working for 2 years with no problem.

- Could fluctuations in voltage really burn out backlight?

- Think online vendor would send me a new one?
diy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 260

and thats why I dont buy honeywell... I used to ... I loved the old round tstat's. Not anymore. Thats just bad that they dont honor a bad product, just because someone other then a contractor installed it...
bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,514

It has a 5 year warranty. Contact online vender.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote