Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #1

Share |

Honeywell screen went blank

I have a Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ YTH9421C1002 Verson 2 Thermostat. Last night when I got up in the middle of the night, I noticed the screen was blank and no light coming from it. A minute or so later and it was back on again. When I got up this morning, it was again out, yet the furnace was blowing. I pulled the face away from the wall mount plate to see if there were any visible batteries, but of course there were none. When I placed it back on the wall it lit back up again. Everything seemed ok....temp was were it should be, it registered the outdoor thermo, indoor humidity, etc....

Any ideas why it's doing this? I don't know if this is a sign of the screen itself going bad, the interface module, or something else.

Again, I didn't see a battery, but I'm guessing there is a battery to hold memory somewhere, could it be that and if so where is it located? Wasn't sure I should pull the face apart.

Thanks for any input.

Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

chk wiring connections... and tighten both at stat and at EIM. Sounds like display is going out. inside the stat is a watch battery but only to retain memory.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #3

Well, I haven't checked this evening, but so far it's stayed on that I see since pulling it off the wall and putting it back on. I will check the connections as well. I suppose as long as it's just the display that goes out and if the unit still functions, I'll be ok. I just worry about loosing it and loosing heat at the same time. I have standard t-stat's I can replace with, but prefer not to have to re-wire one, just to wait a week on shipping for a new IAQ unit....
Old 12-23-2010, 05:25 AM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
Well, I haven't checked this evening, but so far it's stayed on that I see since pulling it off the wall and putting it back on. I will check the connections as well. I suppose as long as it's just the display that goes out and if the unit still functions, I'll be ok. I just worry about loosing it and loosing heat at the same time. I have standard t-stat's I can replace with, but prefer not to have to re-wire one, just to wait a week on shipping for a new IAQ unit....
that stat has a 5 year warranty
Old 12-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
that stat has a 5 year warranty
I was wondering about warranty, that is good to know! Thanks!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #6

FWIW, when my system was installed the installer did not push the unit back onto the mount far enough before he left, and we had similar weirdness as soon as he was gone. He came back and in pretty short order determined what the deal was. Pushed it all the way on, no problems in a year and a half.
Dave Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #7

I suspect the furnace is opening the limit switch due to an overheating situation thus killing the low voltage to the furnace and stat. You may want to check your filter and make sure all registers and grills are clear and open.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

If your furnace is a condensing furnace, and its condensate drains to a condensate pump. See iif the safety switch of the pump is wired to break the Power to the EIM. If so, your pump is having a problem.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIP4661 View Post
I suspect the furnace is opening the limit switch due to an overheating situation thus killing the low voltage to the furnace and stat. You may want to check your filter and make sure all registers and grills are clear and open.
I'll check that. The filter is due to be replaced as the display is flashing such, I'll go ahead and replace it even though the current filter hasn't been in the full 30days yet, I had checked it a few days before it said to change and it still looked pretty good, but maybe I'm wrong. It hasn't happened since I pulled it off and pushed it back on, but certainly don't want to overheat the furnace......

All drains of the furnace & a/c lead to a sump pump.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Topic Hunter

I just went through this problem over the weekend. The system is 9 mo old so I didn't mess with it. The tech fixed it in 30 sec after finding a blown 3 amp automotive fuse on the circuit board inside the furnace. I felt stupid that I didn't see it but then again any chance of me NOT voiding a warranty is a good thing!
Focker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

But what caused the fuse to blow.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
how

Just to advise of a new wrinkle to consider.
I don't know if smart meters are being installed elsewhere but some of the young twits installing them in my area have been causing 24V issues with furnaces, doorbells and appliance clocks.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
Topic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere
But what caused the fuse to blow.
A possible short...but the tech seems to think the 3 amp fuse is under sized from the manufacturer. He replaced it with a 5 amp. He said if it pops again he'll hunt down a possible short.

Sent from my mobile using DIY chat room app.
Focker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:53 AM   #14
AKA HVACTECHFW

Your tech is a moron. Many systems come with a 3A fuse. Put the correct fuse back in there before you blow your transformer.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #15

dow you have wires on R and C for a constant 24Vs from the furnace take a Q-Tips wipe the contacts/pins with alcohol..vodka,gin,...whatever doubt a furnace hi-limit knocks it down, condensate pump might if you have one see if you have low voltage wires going to it

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote