Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #1

Share |

Honeywell RTH 6450 Thermostat

I am replacing a White Rogers thermostat with a Honeywell RTH6450. On the White Rogers the wiring was as follows.
Red - Rh and jump to Rc
White - O
Yellow - Y with jump to W
Green - G
Unused - B

The furnace/cooler is assisted by water pumps drawn from a well. They are in the crawl space so I can't tell you the make.
I labelled the wires and then connected them in the conventional mode since the wiring didn't seem to match the 'heat pump' mode.

On the new stat we connected the wires as follows: -

Red - Rc preinstalled jumper to Rh
Yellow - Y
Green - G
White - W

We did not jump the yellow to W

After turning on a setting to 76 cool, the temperature rose as the heat was on.
Can you please help me with the wiring?

Birstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Did you setup the stat for heat pump operation in the advanced installation instructions? Also, you need to use the HP terminal designations. No you do not jump Y to W.

http://customer.honeywell.com/techli.../69-2416ES.pdf

Birstall (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Knowing the type of system you have would help. Seems you'll need to connect the white wire to 0.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
Did you setup the stat for heat pump operation in the advanced installation instructions? Also, you need to use the HP terminal designations. No you do not jump Y to W.

Thanks for your help. Knowing that gives me confidence to go onto the next part of the set up. Not knowing if the wiring was correct isn't a good place to start.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Knowing the type of system you have would help. Seems you'll need to connect the white wire to 0.
Thanks O & W are on the same terminal.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post

I wasn't sure that i had the wiring right so moving onto the setup was something I hadn't gotten around to. What was confusing me was that the heat pump setup in the install guide seemed to infer that there were many more wires that just the 4 that I had.

I have reinstalled the old stat for now as I have guests in the house, 90 - 100 temps and I don't want to experiment while they are here so I'll attempt this at the weekend.

Many thanks for all your help, I feel I'm on the right track now.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

There is no experimenting. Follow the info on pages 24 & 25, and then the setup instructions, and it will work. Read the book first before jumping into anything is my motto, you will never get in trouble.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

One set of designations is for convention systems, the other for heat pumps. On a heat pump system, the O terminal is only O, and the W2 is used for aux heat, if you have it.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Birstall (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
There is no experimenting. Follow the info on pages 24 & 25, and then the setup instructions, and it will work. Read the book first before jumping into anything is my motto, you will never get in trouble.
Like I said my main concern and question was about the wiring. The jumper lead from yellow to w was the curve ball, which, thanks to those who responded with some assistance in that regard, is now behind me. I can now move on to the setup.

Last edited by Birstall; 07-11-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Foundations are sound? It is a easy setup. There is no theory or over thinking in this, which is what you are doing. Download the book, read through it, follow the info on wiring on pages 24 & 25, then follow the programming setup instructions it will work. This is maybe at most a 10 min. job, 5 if you have done it before and have no issues.

Last one I did, hook up was 2 min's tops, along with going into program mode, or as honeywell calls it "armchair" mode, to change it over to work with my 2-stage system.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote