Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Honeywell Aquastat/switching relay question

Hello all

I'm a not a total noob to HVAC but I know enough to get me into trouble so I was hoping a few of you guys could help me. I'm probably also going to get terms wrong so bare with me

The house in question is small and has a pretty simple setup. 1 zone for the upstairs, a second for the basement. The upstairs t-stat is linked to a honeywell aquastat mounted on the boiler. The t-stat for the basement is wired to a honeywell RA89A switching relay. Each zone has its own circulator. The house also has a tankless hot water coil as part of the boiler setup.

I woke up this morning to no heat in zone 1. (Zone 2 is normally kept off) After troubleshooting I found that the circulator was not being engaged when the t-stat called for heat and the burner fired. This would cause the boiler to quickly reach temp and shut off. I tested the hot water and it still worked.

I'm thinking that the relay that engages the circulator failed in the aquastat. Since I'm not using the second zone in the basement, would it be alright to wire the upstairs t-stat to the basements relay, instead of the aquastat box, and then just connect that to zone 1's circulator and be fine? I know that this will leave me with a none active zone 2, but that will be ok for the time being.

Thanks

map83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,772

Are you sure its the relay, and not the circulator.

If(if it is the aquastat that is the problem) the basement circ relay isn't wired up to the aquastat, then your boiler won't go to high temp on a heat call.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Are you sure its the relay, and not the circulator.

If(if it is the aquastat that is the problem) the basement circ relay isn't wired up to the aquastat, then your boiler won't go to high temp on a heat call.
It is not the circulator. I tested it by hooking it up to Zone #2's relay/thermostat setup and it worked fine. I also went ahead and replaced it with a brand new taco unit

Apparently the aquastat is doing everything but engaging the circulator.

At the moment I have the upstairs t-stat wired to zone #2's relay switch, which is then wired to zone ones circulator pump. This seems to be working. I'm just curious if it is a safe thing to do until I am able to get the aquastat fixed.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

As long as its not running both circs( on some its too much amp draw). No problem.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #5

Its not. Due to the fact that we never use the second zone I have basically just disabled it for the moment( Its circulator and t-stat are not wired up at the moment)

Thank you! Its reassuring to know that I'm not making a situation worse
Old 12-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Your welcome, and no problem.