Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Retired Army Veteran

Share |

honeywell 832a

can you effectively control 2 seperate heating zones with honeywell 832a switch? I have one installed on my boiler that is supposed to control two seperate heating zones. Both circulators are wired into the ra 832a switch. Downstairs zone works fine (just the downstairs zone comes on, like it's suppose to) - but when the upstairs zone calls for heat both upstairs and downstairs circulators come on. It appears to me, that nothing tells the downstairs zone not to come on. It's kind of a problem because the downstairs zone gets to warm - not to mention the energy waste. I don't think the switch is bad because both zones do work and that is what the switch does. i'm thinking the ra 832a is just a basic switch that just turns on the circulators. i need something so when the upstairs zone calls for heat, it doesn't automactically turn on the downstairs zone as well. Any sugesstions out there? Maybe I need some kind of energy efficient switch other than the honeywell 832A. Or something is wired wrong somewhere. This is an old hot water, natural gas runned bolier (over 20 years old) with basic baseboard heat. This switch replaced an old honeywell switch that was on there that went bad which is obsolete now. However, both switches operated the same way with the same above mentioned problem. I like to throw this question out there for an hvac technician or an certified electrician for review. Thanks for any advice or help you can reccommend. The ra832a wiring diagram can be found on this link. Although there are many switching devices the honeywell ra832a is figure3. This is exactly how it is wired on my boiler.

Link to diagram (PDF) here

Last edited by jmon; 11-04-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Added link to diagram
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

honeywell 832a

The 832A is not for controlling 2 zones by individual thermostats. Its just a circ relay able to control 2 line voltage loads, but not be separate low voltage inputs. You need a zone control panel.

check out a Honeywell R8888A, or a Taco SR 503. Either will give you the zone control you want.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Retired Army Veteran

honeywell 832a

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
The 832A is not for controlling 2 zones by individual thermostats. Its just a circ relay able to control 2 line voltage loads, but not be separate low voltage inputs. You need a zone control panel.

check out a Honeywell R8888A, or a Taco SR 503. Either will give you the zone control you want.
thank you for the advice. I will check out those zone control panels
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote