Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Home Warranty vs Yearly HVAC tune ups

New home owner and new member here. I just bought a home with an American standard heat pump that is about 5 years old and the house has never been lived in. I am leaning to a home warranty and posted this in the HVAC thread because from my understanding of a home warranty the biggest draw is for the HVAC coverage. Questions are this:

1. should I get a Home warranty vs. having an HVAC company out once a year?

2. How reasonable would it be to consider servicing and cleaning the unit a do it yourself job. I have little to none HVAC experience.

Ecc0242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Part of the Clover Leaf

Rewards Points: 500

As far as home warranties go ...I would advise you to get annual check-ups.

Home warranties are notorious for doing things on the cheap and have so many out of pocket expenses to the home owners that it makes them almost useless, at least as far as hvac repair is concerned.

Others will be along shortly who will share similar sentiments as I have.

hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #3

Thanks for the input! I have heard two opionions and I just haven't heard that many good things about a home warranty but my lady likes the peace of mind.

I think that in 7 or 8 years when things like the hot water heater and the heat pump are getting older i may get a home waaranty right before big expected expenses.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
Part of the Clover Leaf

Rewards Points: 500

those big expenses 7 or 8 years down the road are going to cost you more out of pocket than the warranty will pay you.

I have seen it too many times. My cousin had a warranty on her new home and needed a new furnace.

She had to pay a service call to the hvac company to confirm what I already told her ...a three hundred dollar deductible, three hundred bucks for sheet metal, seventy five dollar permit fee, one hundred and fifty to run a new electrical line.
That's over eight hundred dollars she would have to pay out of pocket for a fourteen hundred dollar furnace. And need I mention the install crews are not paid well and you get what you pay for...cheap labor.

Weigh your decision well.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #5

Had similar experiences. Got a home warranty with the house I bought back in October. Unless its something major, the co-pay is more than it will cost you to do it yourself. I.E. my garage door pulley came unbolted destroying the spring and support. It cost me $65 to replace all of the springs, cables, and pulleys and repair the support. Our co-pay is $70. HVAC companies will finance so replacing a failed system does not have to be a financial disaster and then you can get a quality system installed right.
horseonthefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #6

thanks for that Idea, didn't even consider that big expenses might offer financing. that makes the warranty seem useless
Old 03-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #7

Thats how I'm feeling right now. For appliances Best Buy does 18 months no interest, Lowes will do 6 months no interest on water heaters (18 if you catch a special), and 6-8% from HVAC companies should have all of your major repairs covered except the roof, and that's not covered unless you purchase additional coverage anyway.

horseonthefly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat pump, home warranty, hvac