Home Theater In-line Fan / Damper Control - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Home Theater In-line fan / Damper Control

I am in the process of building a Home Theater in the basement. I have 2 supplies and 1 return and a dead vent with in-line fan pulling air from outside. The basement is on the same zone as the first floor. My issue is getting too much warm air in winter when the top floor is calling for heat.

The question: I want to put a thermostat in the Home Theater. With this stat and a temp sensor I want to be able to control the dead vent in-line fan and the two mechanical dampers on the two supplies. I can do the work myself but would like some guidance on exactly what equipment to buy to do the controlling. Do I need relays, a simple VAV setup, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement

fax6202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,452

Why not just go with a zoned system. Keep in mind, how well the home holds the heat in by how air tight it is, depends on how cool it will get while in that room for a long period. If it was me I would opt for some type of zoned system that would close the damper off for that room when you do not want it to be heated in the winter.

Placing a remote thermostat in that room will shut the system down, in turn causing the rest of the house to be cool if the system is not running in Winter, or being too cold in the Summer, due to having the A/C run on the temp of the room not the rest of the house.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #3

Cost. Not in my budget. Besides I prefer to save money and do the work myself. Adding a zone is a bit out of my league. I know it is simple to do what I am asking, I just don't have a lot of experience with this sort of thing. It will simply consist of a relay, control board, etc. I am just not sure exactly what to get, hence my question.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Then you are going to have to figure what toys you do not need in that room, because this is one area you do not want to do a hack job nor skimp on.

A relay & control board, would be what would be a part of the zoned system. Suggest you contact local hvac companies, or do some research on the various system. One type uses motorized dampers, another uses bladders that go in the ducts where they enter the rooms the other more expensive is at the furnace and then incorporates a control panel.

So again, you can sink all your money into a room that will never make you money when and if you ever sell the house or put it into a investment with the zoned hvac system. It is your choice, but mine would be the more important not the toys. If the zoned hvac system is not in your budget, then it is obvious that the "home theater" is not also in the budget.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #5

I had an HVAC company in today and they recommended this setup based on my needs. All i need to do is shut off two supplies and turn on one in-line fan when the temperature hits X degrees. I may have explained it wrong but this is all I am trying to accomplish. The option with bladders is not going to work because the supplies terminate at diffusors, which are sized exactly to not exceed 250 FPM for sound control. Again, just need to control two motorized dampers and one fan. Thanks for the comments
Old 07-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Then set up with a switch that you can flip on, when you enter the room. Easiest solution around. You can also get thermostats that have a main and the remote/slave, communicates to the Master thermostat.

Last edited by gregzoll; 07-27-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #7

When you are spending 20k in one room you dont want to do anything manually. Not what i am looking for. Dont want to waste anymore of your time.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by fax6202 View Post
When you are spending 20k in one room you dont want to do anything manually. Not what i am looking for. Dont want to waste anymore of your time.
Then you have money in your budget, to invest into a proper hvac system with zoned controls. Only person wasting time is you, not me. You know where I stand on this venture. Good luck on placing the most important part of the room/structure as the least thought of. But hey it is your money, or should I say your bank's money that you are wasting on toys and gadgets.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #9

Your typical of alot of folks on these sites. I didnt ask for other options which you gave me. I just wanted some insight on very specific questions, if you didnt want to answer them thats fine. This system is recommended by a reputable HVAC business. And secondly this isnt just a room in a house. There are very specific constraints when it comes to soundproofing which I am sure you have no idea about. These constraints limit options. And spending 3k on another zone, or mini-split etc. is just too much. I hardly believe with 2 supplies and one return that I will be miserable in one 16x20 room. I just want to go that extra mile. And for the record the budget is for the room only, not toys, and its not the banks money.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
I am in the process of building a Home Theater in the basement. I have 2 supplies and 1 return and a dead vent with in-line fan pulling air from outside. The basement is on the same zone as the first floor. My issue is getting too much warm air in winter when the top floor is calling for heat.

The question: I want to put a thermostat in the Home Theater. With this stat and a temp sensor I want to be able to control the dead vent in-line fan and the two mechanical dampers on the two supplies. I can do the work myself but would like some guidance on exactly what equipment to buy to do the controlling. Do I need relays, a simple VAV setup, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Take a look at this and see if it would work for you....may be an easier way to achieve what you want. I think you can probably get away with some fresh air intake as long as the return can draw it..you may get a beneficial effect from introducing fresh air. As far as controlling it....it depends on voltage and what you want this to look like when it's done. Fine tune your needs and you will find the answers.Temperature Controlled Air Register | Learn More | The Activent
Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #11

I will definitely check this out. Thank you for your feedback.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
I will definitely check this out. Thank you for your feedback.
No problem and good luck!

Advertisement