DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

High Rise Condo Thermostat Change

17K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright guys thanks again for all you help with all my other projects.

I need to change my thermostat in my condo unit, figured i can just buy one off the shelf at Home depot. Now this is the confusing part, I don't pay for heat/AC, its included in my condo fee. The condominium also controls hot/cold. They tell us when the heat is on for winter and when the A/C is on for summer and we can only control the blower speed and how hot we want it or cold.

My thermostat is really old unit. I've attached a pic below. The condo was built in 1975. The thermostat is made my McQuay. When i remove the face plate i see 3 wires. brown, yellow and red. Do I just purchase a normal thermostat from Home depot or do i have to get a specific thermostat that is designed for a condo. thanks in advance

thanks
-O

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
If that all 3 speeds use to work on that stat, then there should be 4 wires.

That stat has been discontinued.

There is a replacement. Its special order.

You may have a hard time finding a place you can order it though.

Grainger might be able to get you something.

Might want to ask your neighbors if they had to replace theirs yet, and where they got theirs from.

#7 ·
Yea.
They are single coil fan coil units. 2 pipe system.
The condo has a chiller and a boiler. The resident only controls the speed of the blower. And at what temp it comes on at.

The ones I work on, also have a Heat Cool push button.

The OPs is an older model yet, but its still a relabeled Honeywell.

Reactions: hvaclover
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.