High-pitched Sound From The Furnace - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,362

High-pitched sound from the furnace

When my furnace is running, it is making a high-pitched sound. About a minute or so before the blower stops running, the sound stops.

It sounds like a smoke alarm, but at a much much lower decibel - like it's in a room at the far end of the house, with the door shut.

It's a forced air gas furnace, installed in 2005.

Can anyone tell me what might be causing the noise?

Barb

Advertisement

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 824

Sight unseen, oil the blower motor.

Advertisement

bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobelectric For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (03-11-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
how

Rewards Points: 624

By the rough timing of the sound ending one minute before the blower stops, I'd be looking at a gas orifice whine.
A manometer check of your gas valve or manifold will tell you if your pressure is too low. If your furnace is an 80% with the burner orifices exposed through the venturi burner throats, a tech can cover one of those orifices with his finger and if the sound disappears, its a pressure issue.

Depending on the type of blower motor and how long it takes to it wind down, if removing the furnace filter removes the sound, then the sound is from something different.

Let us know.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,362

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
By the rough timing of the sound ending one minute before the blower stops, I'd be looking at a gas orifice whine.
A manometer check of your gas valve or manifold will tell you if your pressure is too low. If your furnace is an 80% with the burner orifices exposed through the venturi burner throats, a tech can cover one of those orifices with his finger and if the sound disappears, its a pressure issue.

Depending on the type of blower motor and how long it takes to it wind down, if removing the furnace filter removes the sound, then the sound is from something different.

Let us know.
Thank you How. I pulled the furnace filter out a little bit. As soon as I did, the noise stopped. When I pushed it back in, it made the sound again.

When I lifted the bottom corner of the filter a little bit, it stopped again. It sounded like the noise was from air being pulled in through the opening where the filter fits in. When I put my hand down there, I felt air being pulled from the room, into the that opening.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

the furnace will pull the easiest air closest to the supply return so it is whistling thru the access panel just tape it over...i was going to tell you to take a hammer sideways and bag the return duct the lenght of the run...bet if you cover the return grill in the space the noise will diaappear....returns are always the crazy noise area first to check
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (03-11-2012)