High Efficiency Side Exhaust Vent - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

High Efficiency Side Exhaust Vent

Furnace is exhausted out the side of the house. We had to install a wheelchair lift and it is in front of the vent, about 6-8 inches away. Contractor wants to put an elbow on the exhaust and direct it horizontally (with slight decline) under the porch. Will this work? Or can we just leave it as is?? Or do we need to use a 90 degree elbow and vent it above the roof??

Advertisement

TerrySki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

Post some pics so we can tell. Make and model # and pic of the furnace also. Where do you live? get lots of snow?

Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #3

I have attached pix. This is all I have. It is at my father's house in the Chicago area, I do not know the furnace model. The exhaust is the pipe nearest the porch. There is another pipe about 4-6 feet to the left of that one, it is plugged up. (?) Seems like it should be the cold air intake, but we could not follow it all the way to the furnace when we were there looking at it.

In the past, ice would form on the driveway in the winter from the furnace exhaust.

The lift will be turned around 180 degrees and the moving platform will be nearest the house, with the tower side about 5-6 feet away from the house. The moving platform will be about 6-8 inches away from the house.

The contractor doing the installation has suggested putting an elbow on the exhaust and venting it underneath the porch.
Attached Thumbnails
High Efficiency Side Exhaust Vent-img_1238.jpg   High Efficiency Side Exhaust Vent-img_1239-2-.jpg  
TerrySki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #4

It looks like the contractor cut both pipes. The second pipe could be an intake to the furnace, but I'm not sure why it would be installed so far away. Usually an intake will have an elbow pointing down on the termination. It could be an exhaust vent from a water heater, but they usually have a elbow pionting down at the termination as well.

In our code you can vent under a deck, as long as it's open on 3 sides. I can see in your pic that one of your sides is blocked, so the remaining 3 sides would have to be open. You would want to maintain at least 1 foot from the bottom of your deck and at least 1 foot from grade. Make sure the contractor installs some armaflex insulation around the vent pipe that is exposed to the outdoors.

You mentioned installing the new vent pipe with a slight decline. In most cases appliances should be vented with an incline of 1/4" per foot.

Last edited by beenthere; 04-08-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Removed link to another forum
User75130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Personally, I would see if the furnace can be vented out another side of the house if possible. If the vent ever freezes up or gets blocked with bugs, spiders webs, critters it may be a huge pain to unplug especially if it is real cold out/at night/Xmas holidays etc. There is a lot of moisture in the exhaust and I would suspect some may hit and rust the lift and or damage the deck.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #6

Yeah, I agree. It doesn't look like you would have 1 foot from the bottom of the deck while keeping an upward incline. Also depending on the BTU input of the appliance, you would have to maintain certain clearances from windows, openings ect when you relocate the vent pipe.

Last edited by beenthere; 04-08-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Removed link to another forum
User75130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Yep. Don't know about you but unthawing frozen vents with a hairdryer or heat gun is not my favorite job. Probably won't meet any codes and will need redoing when the next furnace goes in. Swirling wind can get under the deck and trip the pressure switch etc. Have seen a LOT of weird scenarios in my years. Freedom 55 looks good.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,702

Have the vent relocated to another area.

Putting an ell on it and running it down hill will cause it to freeze shut and leave you(your father) without heat.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Venting below the deck isn't a good idea. Of the two options, I would elbow up and go through the roof. However, it would be best to find an interrior wall to go up and vent through the attic/roof. Not being there, so, maybe the interrior wall isn't an option, but thats what would be best.

Advertisement

Flashheatingand is offline   Reply With Quote