Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #1

Share |

High efficiency furnace venting

I live in Ontario and my neighbours are putting in a high efficiency furnace.The venting is in the four foot wide walkway which is my only access to my backyard.Because I own 3 feet of this walkway and they own 1 foot I am the one who does the snow removal.They do not use the walkway except for home maintenance purposes.
I am concerned about the exhaust and damage to my property from ice build up.
It is being put in 2 foot above ground so I will be breathing in the exhaust a lot of the time I go into my yard for 6 months of the year.
Has anyone had experience with this type of situation and how was it resolved?Any idea what is in the exhaust and whether lack of maintenance changes the makeup of the exhaust?
Thanks
neighbour bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Down here in the USA, the exhaust must be a min of 7" above a common walkway. Check your local codes.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #3

it happens all the time .... there is nothing you can do about it.. the exhaust wont hurt your home,.... when your outside the furnace wont be running it will be warm out.... in manitoba a 70000 btu furnace can be vented 1 foot from an opening window .... it wont hurt you... unless you have a window that you leave open all winter and the exhaust blows in it you have no worries....
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmon View Post
it happens all the time .... there is nothing you can do about it.. the exhaust wont hurt your home,.... when your outside the furnace wont be running it will be warm out.... in manitoba a 70000 btu furnace can be vented 1 foot from an opening window .... it wont hurt you... unless you have a window that you leave open all winter and the exhaust blows in it you have no worries....
As long as it not blowing in the window.

The exhaust can damage the finish of his house though, since its blowing right at his house.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #5

its four feet away... i doubt there will be any damage.... new homes in manitoba are so close you can shake hands out the window... we have installed many and there has never been any damage.... I do agree an alternate location may be better.... but due to clearances to regulators... drier vents... decks in the way... and other issues there may be no choice but to vent blowing at the neighbors home.. In manitoba there is nothing a home owner can due about the neighbors termination ..... Ontario may be different...
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:14 AM   #6

I'm not a Hvac pro by any stretch, but I have an opinion.

There will be no ice build up in that area. High efficiency furnaces have condensate pumps inside the home. I THINK the exhaust pipe is slightly tilted to allow the water to run back to the pump and be disposed of in an inside drain.

Unless you plan on having your face right up to the exhaust pipe and sucking it in, you will be fine. Code in Ontario is one foot from windows. Thats to ensure exhaust doesn't go back into a CLOSED space. You are in the open, its all ok.

When the installer has completed his job, he can't just fire it up. The local gas provider, I think its Endbridge, has to send out a ministry approved inspector. This inspector will check out the whole job, inside and out and only then can the installer fire up the unit.

Most importantly, if there is a ton of snow in a given year, be a decent human being and make sure that snow is not building up around the exhaust pipe. If left unchecked that family can suffer fatal carbon monoxide poisoning
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
Part of the Clover Leaf

Yeah, agree with Creeper. Mi code is no different than Ontario code on venting issues and as long as it is a direct vent (two pipe system) you have no worries.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac5646 For This Useful Post:
creeper (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
I'm not a Hvac pro by any stretch, but I have an opinion.

There will be no ice build up in that area. High efficiency furnaces have condensate pumps inside the home. I THINK the exhaust pipe is slightly tilted to allow the water to run back to the pump and be disposed of in an inside drain.

Unless you plan on having your face right up to the exhaust pipe and sucking it in, you will be fine. Code in Ontario is one foot from windows. Thats to ensure exhaust doesn't go back into a CLOSED space. You are in the open, its all ok.

When the installer has completed his job, he can't just fire it up. The local gas provider, I think its Endbridge, has to send out a ministry approved inspector. This inspector will check out the whole job, inside and out and only then can the installer fire up the unit.

Most importantly, if there is a ton of snow in a given year, be a decent human being and make sure that snow is not building up around the exhaust pipe. If left unchecked that family can suffer fatal carbon monoxide poisoning
Thee is always water vapor carried in the exhaust vapors. So there will be ice build up under the ehaust.

He already said he has to clear the snow to get to the back of his place. And that the other family doesn't do any of the snow clearing.

MI may not follow IMC or NFGC, don't know what the code is in Ontario, but NFGC is 7 foot above a common walk way. And this is because of ice build up if it is not.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
neighbour bob (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Part of the Clover Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

MI may not follow IMC or NFGC, don't know what the code is in Ontario, but NFGC is 7 foot above a common walk way. And this is because of ice build up if it is not.
Oh, yes we do!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #10

I've never seen a single drop of ice on mine, which is about 2 ft from the ground
Old 04-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #11

Ok I'm not trying to be a smart as* just trying to learn. So whats the difference if the water drips from 7 ft or 2 ft ? It will still trun to ice if its present
Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #12

Thanks for all your replies.Although it is not code in Ontario for something that is not considered a public walkway(in which it is 7 and a half feet for the vent)I think that if the exhaust is going over someone else's property in close quarters it should be considered that.I offered to pay my neighbour's the cost difference to install the exhaust that high.The PVC pipe is white and I understand that the exhaust can cause problems with a regular PVC pipe.
So does anyone know?
Google search has not helped at all.
I need pro help with this.
Thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Ok I'm not trying to be a smart as* just trying to learn. So whats the difference if the water drips from 7 ft or 2 ft ? It will still trun to ice if its present
I think it vapourizes before it hits the ground.The City does not want to get sued so they make rules that suit them but never mind the poor neighbours.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Ok I'm not trying to be a smart as* just trying to learn. So whats the difference if the water drips from 7 ft or 2 ft ? It will still turn to ice if its present
The longer it has before touching something, the better it mixes with the outside air, and more of the water vapor is absorbed into the air, and doesn't become ice.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
Part of the Clover Leaf

vapor v-a-p-o-r

Dang, Canadians spell funny