Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #1

Share |

high efficiency furnace exhaust pointing upward?

Hello all,

We had a 95% high efficiency furnace installed a while ago but this never really came to my mind till recently. So the contractor installed a PVC exhaust pipe that protrudes from the side of the house and from what I read that's normal. But the weird thing is that this exhaust pipe is point upward with about a 90 degree elbow instead of pointing downward. Is that correct? I checked with the contractor and he said that's the right way to do it but i wanted to check you all the pros on this site.

Thank you !
flyorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Post a pic of it and the brand name and model #. Most installs shoot the exhaust straight out or have a horz pipe with a tee on the end of it. No reason to put upwards or downwards elbows. On the intake there usually is a downward elbow. If it rains you will be getting water backwards into your furnace and it is a great nesting place for spiders, birds , wasps etc in the summer.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #3

Sometimes installers will put an upward section externally with 90 degree angle at the top to get the vent exit above the snow line. Do you live in a snow region?
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #4

It is a Haier 94 AFUE Centeral natural gas furnace

Here's a pic of the exhaust pipe.

i live in california..
Attached Thumbnails
high efficiency furnace exhaust pointing upward?-pipe.jpg  
Old 01-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

You would have to look in the install manual or contact Haier. Not a very common brand where I am. Looks bad to me as the exhaust is going to stain your wall and could damage the stucco or siding. The idea of a straight pipe is to get the exhaust AWAY from the house. Lennox uses an accelerator orifice on the end of theirs. Some brands require certain exhaust setups or they have pressure switch tripping or venting problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
flyorange (01-07-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

That will damage the side of your house. The exhaust vapor is caustic/mildly acidic. Did the installer leave the install manual with you.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
That will damage the side of your house. The exhaust vapor is caustic/mildly acidic. Did the installer leave the install manual with you.

I am not sure if the installer left me with the manual. I am going to have to look for it. So how should they have installed it to avoid the exhaust from damaging the wall ?

Thanks,
Old 01-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

The exhaust is suppose to be faced away from the house. So it should either be the pipe pointing straight out from the wall. or an ell up, a short piece of pipe, and then an ell pointing away from the house.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
flyorange (01-07-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
The exhaust is suppose to be faced away from the house. So it should either be the pipe pointing straight out from the wall. or an ell up, a short piece of pipe, and then an ell pointing away from the house.

Thank you! so excuse me for my ignorance..so when you say ell up, you mean like an arm's length ? so it sounds like the problem is that the pipe is too short making it too close to the wall? i looked at my neighbor's pipe and hers is pretty short as well but its pointing straight out from the wall.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
Wire Chewer

I'd contact the manufacturer and ask if it's ok to add another elbow to make it shoot straight. I can't see why not, but best to check anyway. You will definitely get rain water in there. Also where's the intake? If it's indoors, then that defeats half the purpose of high efficiency as it will be using indoor air for combustion and that air needs to be replaced somehow... sucked through cracks and stuff.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Hvac Pro

Look at page 29. Fig 33. Venting is VERY brand specific and needs to be done to Haiers specs or problems can occur. Usually we come out the wall with a 12" piece of pipe and put a tee on the end of it with one end open to the top and the other down and the branch on the pipe. Or like in this manual on p29. You don't need to go out that far just get the exhaust away from the house and blowing away.http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...58mxa-10si.pdf