Hepa Furnace Filter - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hepa furnace filter

hi all!

does anyone know if i can buy a hepa filter AFTER i install my new furnace? not sure if there is an aftermarket and i am thinking there might be a cheaper way to get the benefits... i am being quoted $1000 for a true hepa filter with my new furnace installation

i currently use 3M filtrete on my old furnace...is there that much more benefit?

thanks all

Advertisement

baby12121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

hepa furnace filter

I would stay away from the 3m filter. It is most likely making your furnace run to hot and will wear it out sooner.

A true hepa filter is very expensive and usually is like a by-pass system which cleans 20% of the air and then puts it back in the return.

You could look into a 4 or 5 inch media filter which would be a good option depending on what you are trying to do with the filter.

Advertisement

hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,686

hepa furnace filter

You can get 4 or 5" HEPA rated media air filters. But, be prepared to change it often.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

hepa furnace filter

And pay about $150 or more for a Merv 16 5" HEPA.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

hepa furnace filter

Unless you use one of the Honeywell media filters (not strictly "HEPA") that fit into a 1" return filter grill, you have to cut into and rework the ductwork to retroactively install one. If you really want a high efficiency electronic filter, get the Aprilair 5000 installed when you have the furnace replaced. Having said that, I would just get a regular media filter installed when they're putting the new furnace in.
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

hepa furnace filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
And pay about $150 or more for a Merv 16 5" HEPA.
Somewhere around there.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

hepa furnace filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby12121 View Post
hi all!

does anyone know if i can buy a hepa filter AFTER i install my new furnace? not sure if there is an aftermarket and i am thinking there might be a cheaper way to get the benefits... i am being quoted $1000 for a true hepa filter with my new furnace installation

i currently use 3M filtrete on my old furnace...is there that much more benefit?

thanks all
I have a HRV that uses a HEPA filter and it has to be replaced annually! I just replaced it and it cost $110 at the building center!
HEPA filters are not readily available, as are standard filters and must be purchased from the manufacturer. And we all know what that means!
I installed a new furnace 10 years ago and have used 3M Filtrete filters exclusively, with no dire consequence!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

hepa furnace filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
I installed a new furnace 10 years ago and have used 3M Filtrete filters exclusively, with no dire consequence!
That you noticed yet.

It raised your heating and cooling bill higher then they should be. You just didn't use it with a air filter with good air flow to know it.

Turn the fan switch at the stat to on. Go to the supply at the far end of your duct system, and see how much air you feel. Now put a blue fiber glass air filter in and check that same register. You get more air flow.

Lower air flow means that more heat is going out the flue/chimney.

Have you inspected your heat exchanger recently, to know if its fatiguing early?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 278

hepa furnace filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby12121 View Post
hi all!

thanks all

I installed two filters on my furnace. I put a Honeywell F300 electronic filter followed by a F100 Media filter. They are the same metal frame. Because I have a downflow furnace the dust would fall off the electric filter and cake onto the heat exchanger and the blower. Now the electric filter catches most things and then media filter catches the rest. The filters are oversized so my airflow doesn't take a major hit. I have a 17" furnace with 20x20x4 inch filters. It's also great because now I wash the electic filter every couple months and I change the media once a year. Seems like the best of both worlds. My Static pressure drop seems reasonable too. It's not a super easy mod but well worth it. I did it in one Saturday..
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #10

hepa furnace filter

I'd suggest a media filter. Start with a Merv 10 or 12, new filters available at any of the big hardware stores. If you have breathing issues, like some of my customers, then you can purchase a Merv 16 that will fit in the same cabinet. In clean houses it will last a year and it is not too restrictive. Only 1 out a 100 that tried the merv 16 for a year went back to a merv 10 even though the cost is tripple. Most folks don't need that much filtration but those with bad allergies and asthma really like it.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

hepa furnace filter

So I am intrigued now on how the 3M filters can cause your heating bills to raise. My furnace is on for 6 minutes from the time the gas lights to the fan kicks off. How is using a 3M filter affecting how its running, if only running for that short period of time. Is it possible for it to run for less than 6 minutes, I thought that was short cycle time. I use the red packaged 3M filter, 1000 series rating. If I am ruining my furnace I need to know now so I can stop using these filters before I end up having to replace the whole darn thing.
mferguson0414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #12

hepa furnace filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferguson0414 View Post
So I am intrigued now on how the 3M filters can cause your heating bills to raise. My furnace is on for 6 minutes from the time the gas lights to the fan kicks off. How is using a 3M filter affecting how its running, if only running for that short period of time. Is it possible for it to run for less than 6 minutes, I thought that was short cycle time. I use the red packaged 3M filter, 1000 series rating. If I am ruining my furnace I need to know now so I can stop using these filters before I end up having to replace the whole darn thing.
Heating and air is all about proper air flow to get the performace the equiptment is rated for. The 700's are not bad,1000's getting a bit iffy and the 1250's might as well be plywood after a couple weeks. Should be a sticker inside the furnace that states maximum static pressure. Restrictive filters take you way past that unless the duct is oversized. Most duct is sized correctly or under sized, very rare to be over sized.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty S. For This Useful Post:
mferguson0414 (03-05-2010)
Old 02-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

hepa furnace filter

By slowing the air flow down. They increase temp rise throught the furnace. The higher the temp rise. The hotter the heat exchanger gets. This causes the heat exchanger to fatigue early.

Also. The hotter the hotter/warmer the discharge air temp of teh furnace. the hotter the flue gas is. Which means your putting more heat out the chimney/flue then need be.

What is your outdoor design temp for winter, and what temp are you keeping your house at.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
mferguson0414 (03-05-2010)
Old 02-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

hepa furnace filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
I'd suggest a media filter. Start with a Merv 10 or 12, new filters available at any of the big hardware stores. If you have breathing issues, like some of my customers, then you can purchase a Merv 16 that will fit in the same cabinet. In clean houses it will last a year and it is not too restrictive. Only 1 out a 100 that tried the merv 16 for a year went back to a merv 10 even though the cost is tripple. Most folks don't need that much filtration but those with bad allergies and asthma really like it.
Have you ever measured the starting PD, and ending PD of those filters.
Along with starting and ending static pressure.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:31 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

hepa furnace filter

looks like I will be taking back my 1000 today that I just purchases and picking up a 700. What if I am changing them out every month, would that help lower my chances of harm done to the furnace? Also, I do not know the prior filter history before 2006 when I purchased the home. Would the house feeling like a million degrees at times be a indicator that the furnace is running too hot, or could that just be because of my awesome work put into sealing and insulating the ducting in my unconditioned basement?

Advertisement

mferguson0414 is offline   Reply With Quote