Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2011, 02:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Help Wiring Programmable Thermostat

I have an old basic manual mercury thermostat running a forced air natural gas central heat furnace. No air conditioning, nothing fancy.

I just bought an Uberhaus Design programmable thermostat from Rona. There is no support phone number provided. The directions do not include instructions for upgrading from an old thermostat, especially the wiring I have.

The wiring colour codes in the new thermostat are as follows:
RH, RC, W, Y, and G

I only have two wires connected to the old thermostat:
1 black and 1 red. That's all folks. No white wire.

Everything I have looked up on the net mentions a white wire going to the "W" terminal, but I don't have one.

I've looked up thermostat wiring on Rona's site and they say to hook up the RH and W terminals but they don't say what colour goes to which.

I'm stumped. So now what? Any ideas?

Brio9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:54 AM   #2

Black to Rh, Red/White to W

bbguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #3

Take it back and get a Honeywell programable. It includes instructions to DIY and is VERY easy. Did one a couple months ago and works great. Took me about 5 minutes to change old to new.
Stn4Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #4

Thanks for your help. I finally managed to figure it out by shining a flashlight on the circuit board of the old thermostat. The letters were there next to the terminals in a faint green colour, similar to the circuit board (very hard to see in the dark corner where the thermostat is located).

Turned out that the red wire was RH and the black was W. I labelled them before disconnecting it, as per the instructions. Got the new one hooked up and programmed and it's working fine.

The thing I like about this Uberhaus Design one is that it's portable. You can actually remove the touchscreen thermostat from the wall plate to program it, which works well considering its awkward location in my townhouse. It's a difficult place to stand and adjust the settings because I have a heavy piece of furniture beneath it. This way, I can just pull it off the wall and sit on the sofa with it, then put it back on the wall when I have it programmed right.

Last edited by Brio9; 02-13-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Brio9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #5

You must be a salesman for the thermostats ! lmao

Just kiddin , I like that idea in a stat ...... carry round and the wifi ones are gettin cheap to , gotta love technology .
PJMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat installation