Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with replacing furnace/AC

Replacing a 54 year old furnace, A/c system is 16 years old working OK I think. Have make a few calls to get some quotes. After reading everything I can find on this site, I have an understand that most all the equipment on the market today is very much a like. What you want to do is find a HVAC contractor and make sure we get a first class installation. My wife and I are not planning on being in this home any longer than 8-10 years, if that. With a possibility of turning this home, into a rental once we decide to move on. The brands we have narrowed it down to are Ducane, Goodman, and Ameristar made by American Standard. All three contractors we feel will do a first class install. All have a good BBB rating, and have been doing HVAC retrofits for many years in our area. That said I have a few questions.
1. Would it make any senses to just do the furnace only, wait until the AC unit craps out, then replace it then. Or would it be a better idea to have a complete system installed at one time so everything matches up to gain efficiencies? I understand no one has a crystal ball and can not tell me when this AC unit will drop dead. The conflict is dollars spent now or more dollars spent down the road when this AC unit goes down.
2. Should we stay away from, any of the three brands we have narrowed our selection down to?
Thank you all for your advice.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,724

Any of those brands are ok.

The A/C change out won't be any cheaper 4 years down the road then it will be now.

Might be a little cheaper doing it now, then even next year.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

What is the EER rating of your current AC unit?
1990 they had to be 8.0 or better, new ones are 13.0
They say increasing from 8.0 to 13.0 would reduce operating cost by 50%
So something else to consider
Depends upon how much you use the AC too
In 4 years maybe an even more efficient system would be out
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #4

Yes we have an 8.0 seer with a 2.5 ton. The contractors are recommending a 14.0 seer with a 2 ton unit. They are telling us we will see savings along with gaining more efficiency. We will be using our AC about 6 months a year.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #5

FYI:Turns out we called one last HCAV contractor out last night to give us a quote for a new complete system. Friend of a Friend owner installer and sales person. Come to fine out the heat exchanger is not crack but clogged. Cleaned everything vacuum out everything used a coat hanger to unclog the heat exchanger and burners. Charged $159.00 for about 1 1/2 hour call. Also said our return air ducks are lacking we need to enlarge a couple. Not to say we are not going to have to replace our system within the next few months/years. But now we have a trusted HVAC contractor ready to do the work.