Help With Relay - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with relay

Hi guys! I have set up my outdoor wood boiler (OWB) to dry my clothes, yes you can do it. I have a Hardy H2, one Taco 008 pump. I have a line that is "teed" from the incoming supply from the OWB, I basically made a "scoop tee" with ball valve that is slightly closed, this creates a small pressure differential (maybe flow is a better term?) that causes some of the 180 degree water to be diverted into my 3/4 pex that goes to the car evaporator/blower fan assembly that is from a Mercury Capri and mounted on the wall behind the dryer. I have a 4; duct that feeds in to the dryer.

Maybe this will help: when there is a call for heat two things happen, the circ pump turns on and the blower turns on, but in order to have JUST the circ pump on I had to disconnect one wire and that wire is energized when the circ pump turns on via a relay at the OWB. But when I put that wire back in its place and switch the circ pump on at the dryer (manually for now with a single pole switch) the blower turns on.

I know I have to move the blower wire, so that when the circ pump is on because I am drying clothes, the blower in the furnace is off. But I also have to be sure that when there is a call for heat the circ pump and blower turn on.

So my question is do I need a different relay in the OWB and/or in the furnace, one that can handle two different, separate inputs. So when current goes here turn on circ pump only. When current goes there turn on blower and circ pump.

Can any help me out, I know it sounds confusing, sorry.
Thanks
Zeek

Advertisement

zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Help with relay

I think you need 110v Relay with NC and NA

Advertisement

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #3

Help with relay

So one set of contacts is normally open and the other normally closed, correct? And how would that set up work for me? Could you elaborate on how to wire, just generally and I can figure out the rest.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Still Learning

Rewards Points: 250

Help with relay

Wow that is totally confusing but it sounds like you are having fun there. Do you have any pictures you can post?

From what I gather you are going to have a 120v line going into the relay, and there will be two lines coming out of the relay. One will be normally open, one will be normally closed. There is a 24v coil that switches it back and forth so you are gonna need a transformer

Last edited by thehvacguy; 06-23-2012 at 03:12 PM.
thehvacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #5

Help with relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehvacguy View Post
Wow that is totally confusing but it sounds like you are having fun there. Do you have any pictures you can post? Are you working with 24volt controls or high voltage controls?
Yes 24 volt controls. I know this is totally possible with relays, but I'm thinking i need one relay for just circ pump and one relay for circ pump and blower.

When all done I will be able to disconnect my electric element in the dryer and not have to pay to dry my clothes, well except to turn the drum but that is far cheaper than a 5000 watt hog!
Old 06-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Still Learning

Help with relay

Actually you dont even need a relay. Just break the fan line with a switch. Whenever you want the fan to turn off just hit the switch, otherwise the fan and pump will run simultaneously. You could use a light switch if you want.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Still Learning

Help with relay

Actually if you are using low voltage you are gonna wanna get a low voltage switch but ya
Old 06-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Still Learning

Help with relay

I just googled this hardy h2 you got. This is new technology to me. Are you using that furnace to heat water then send it to your dryer?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #9

Help with relay

Quote:
I just googled this hardy h2 you got. This is new technology to me. Are you using that furnace to heat water then send it to your dryer?
Yep, it goes through pex to the heat exchanger, which is an evaporator from a car, then a fan blows over those hot water filled coils, and into the dryer.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
Still Learning

Help with relay

OH! You dont have gas huh? Sorry, here in LA we dont use water for heat much. Its very rare
Old 06-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #11

Help with relay

Quote:
OH! You dont have gas huh? Sorry, here in LA we dont use water for heat much. Its very rare
No gas, I live on a farm in the country. Options for heating are oil, propane or electric. Free firwood is cheapest.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
Still Learning

Help with relay

So every time you wanna turn on the heater you gotta light some wood on fire then? Im trying to see the big picture here. You definitely can do it with a relay though...
Old 06-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #13

Help with relay

Oh No, we load the firebox twice a day, when the temp of the water gets below 180 the draft opens, and a blower lights the smoldering fire. Sometimes we can go days without loading, that is if it is like 40 at night and high 50's in the day.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Still Learning

Help with relay

That blower is the same blower thats in your furnace or no?
Old 06-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #15

Help with relay

no that is a totally separate circuit, has nothing to do with anything else.

Advertisement