Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

HELP - Problem With In Floor Heating

I recently re-did my bathroom and installed one of the floor heating systems that consists of a thermostat and a coil of wire that goes under the tile. When I turn the thermostat up, everything seems like it should be working but the floor doesn't warm up, even when I turn the thermostat all the way up to 104. I did some basic electrical tests of the thermostat by measuring the voltage supplied to the thermostat and got 120V. When I turn the thermostat on I get 120V to the terminals that supply the voltage to the heater element and when the thermostat is off I get a reading of 0V so it "seems" like the thermostat is functioning correctly. So my question is what could the problem be? I tested the heater cable after I installed the self levelling cement over it and it tested out in spec with the manufacturers requirements so i can't see how that could have gotten messed up. Could I just have too much on top of the heater strips? I have them tacked down to plywood with SLC (1/4" - 1/2"), Ditra, and ceramic tile over that. I ran this past the mfr rep and he said that would be fine. Any recommendations or steps to how to trouble shoot this. Obviously if it requires tearing up the tile I won't fix it but I want to try everything I can before giving it up.

I'll probably try hooking up the spare temperature sensor tonight (installed two just in case) to see if that makes a difference. I really appreciate any help that anyone can give me. Thanks.

jobondur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 40

How long are you waiting for the floor to warm up.

Check to see if its drawing any amperage.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2

The thermostat cycles the heating elements on and off to maintain a temperature at the set point, usually based on a reading from a device you embed in the floor. Possibly the sensor is bad, although it sounds like the thermostat is drawing voltage when it is on, which suggests that the sensor is working. My floor takes at least 30 minutes before you can tell that the heat is on, at least an hour to get up to full temperature. As noted by the previous poster, you may not have left it on long enough to see a temperature rise.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:51 AM   #4

No I've left it on for over an hour with no apparent temperature change. It looks like I'm screwed because I measured the Ohms resistance between the black and white leads of the heating element (hooked into the thermostat) and got 1 on every setting I had. So somehow I have nicked the heating element somewhere which is hard to believe considering I tested it successfully after the drywall was up and the SLC was poured so I have no clue how it got nicked.
jobondur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 40

1 ohm would produce a lot of heat.

Try checking the ohms with the wires disconnected from the stat.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
1 ohm would produce a lot of heat.

Try checking the ohms with the wires disconnected from the stat.
On a resistive load..ooohhhhh yeahhhhhh