Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2006, 06:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Help please! What is wrong w/ my Carrier AC?

We bought new Carrier furnace/ac w/ puron last May. We bought the mid level system. We were trying to avoid ac problems, but have had nothing but problems. The compressor will go on outside, but the condenser will try to kick on inside. You can stand next to it & hear it trying to turn on. It will cycle for a few seconds & then goes off. It does this repeatedly. So then I have to turn the whole system off for a few minutes & then turn back it on & it works ok for a few days & then we start the cycle all over again. Usually, I come home from work & it's 80 + in the house & I know the system is not working properly. I have had carrier out here more times that I can remember. They replaced the entire electrical board last July. Their latest solution was to put the ac on its own circuit. That seemed to solve the problem for @ 1.5 months, but I have the short cicuiting problems again now. It seems to flalr up after long term use. I thought since we bought a brand new system, we would not have any problems for many years. Do we have a lemmon, or is there something I am missing?

chicagogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

I'm not an HVAC technician, but we put in a new high-efficiency 4-ton Carrier heatpump system with dual zone controls in a 1998 remodeling of our 1977 home.
We have had nothing but problems with it.
After many service calls by the installer, Carrier reps, and three other HVAC companies, it was determined:
A. the installer put in too large of a unit (should have been no more than a 3.5 ton unit at max). They failed to do a load calculation. Causes unit to cool house too quickly and shut off before properly dehumidifying the air, which caused mold and mildew on the walls, ceilings, etc.,
B. the zone (upstairs and downstairs for one unit) controls never functioned right, and
C. we never had anything like the lower electrical bills promised.
Additionally, the motor control module on the condenser fan blows at least once a year. This problem happens so frequently (and usually on a weekend) that I keep the $200 module part on hand (available from Carrier only of course) and learned to install it myself.
I also disconnected the zone control units in the ductwork, which helped.
The installer offered to replace the unit (labor only) IF I would buy the new 3.5 ton unit.
No dice.
I've got this thing functioning alright now, and when it finally goes, it will not be replaced by a Carrier.
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogirl
We bought new Carrier furnace/ac w/ puron last May. We bought the mid level system. We were trying to avoid ac problems, but have had nothing but problems. The compressor will go on outside, but the condenser will try to kick on inside. You can stand next to it & hear it trying to turn on. It will cycle for a few seconds & then goes off. It does this repeatedly. So then I have to turn the whole system off for a few minutes & then turn back it on & it works ok for a few days & then we start the cycle all over again. Usually, I come home from work & it's 80 + in the house & I know the system is not working properly. I have had carrier out here more times that I can remember. They replaced the entire electrical board last July. Their latest solution was to put the ac on its own circuit. That seemed to solve the problem for @ 1.5 months, but I have the short cicuiting problems again now. It seems to flalr up after long term use. I thought since we bought a brand new system, we would not have any problems for many years. Do we have a lemmon, or is there something I am missing?
You need to talk to the Carrier regional manager directly and they will "more than likely" install a new unit for you. If not contact the local Better Business Bureau. Be sure to have all of your records and paperwork of the previous repair attempts.
didn'tdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi Chicagogirl

I am a fanatic about Carrier, I would love to try and help if you could give me a little information.

Rusty
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote